DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When attaching roof jacks, what kind of fastener (screw or nail)? Do you try to attach into trusses or structure, or can you just fasten into the roof sheeting?

When attaching top pump jack supports on the roof, what fastener (screw or nail)? Do you try to attach into trusses or structure, or can you just fasten into the roof sheeting?

· Retired Moderator
14,787 Posts
When attaching roof jacks, what kind of fastener (screw or nail)? Do you try to attach into trusses or structure, or can you just fasten into the roof sheeting?

When attaching top pump jack supports on the roof, what fastener (screw or nail)? Do you try to attach into trusses or structure, or can you just fasten into the roof sheeting?
Nails always held for me, it is kinda hard to find a rafter so I just nailed under a shingle tab where ever it hit. I used duplex head nail.

· journeyman carpenter
3,483 Posts
i use spikes into the rafters or trusses for roof jacks

for pump jack staging we tie them in with 1/4"x 3" lags that are bolted to the sub fascia or onthe roof into rafters.. when you remove the fastener caulk the holes if going through shingles

· Administrator
14,373 Posts
Roof jacks are designed to use roofing nails.

I use #10 pan head screws for pump jacks usually through the roof sheathing.

32" from the wall to the pole is my target number so I'll only attach to the fascia if there's no (or almost no) overhang.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.