DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently building a 14x66 addition on the front of a mobile home. The roof is a 6/12 pitch gable roof covering addition and mobile home. The addition has ceiling joist but I cannot add ceiling joist above mobile home due to gable roof of mobile home. Basically new roof is framed like a attic space over addition and cathedral over mobile home. My question is ... I have a support wall under ridge beam and collar ties in upper 3rd of roof. Do I need struts and purlins to support roof or is supports under ridge beam good enough?

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Sorry can't imagine your plan. But rafters always rest on some structure that can take the load and not sure if mobile homes are built with beams. If not, you have to build independent from mobile with its own foundation.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Got some pictures so we can see what your seeing?
Snow loads to deal with?
No permit when built?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The rafters on right side are nailed at ridge and at double 2x12 beam supported by 6x6 post (not supported by mobile home). Is it okay to be like that? My thinking is that load is carried by support wall under ridge.. Rafters are 2x8s. It's hard to tell but there are 2x4s every 4ft supporting ridge. Snow load 20 and yes I have permit. Inspecter wants everything dried in with electrical and mechanical done before he checks anything. Sounds crazy to me. I just want to make sure walls not gonna push out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,866 Posts
The front walls or the ones on left look good, I don't see a problem there. What I don't see is the rafters that sit on the trailer being tied back to the addition structure. While there is support for the ridge, MHO would be to tie the rafters front to back every 4 feet. That may be an over kill but I was always bad to over build anyway, at least that way you know it isn't going to go anywhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front walls or the ones on left look good, I don't see a problem there. What I don't see is the rafters that sit on the trailer being tied back to the addition structure. While there is support for the ridge, MHO would be to tie the rafters front to back every 4 feet. That may be an over kill but I was always bad to over build anyway, at least that way you know it isn't going to go anywhere.
So do I need to tie rafters together and do I need to use 2x8s? Or are you saying to tie in rafters over MH to the current ceiling joist on left? Do I need to do this with a strut/purlin system or just nail from ceiling joist on left to rafters on right. They will have to be at a angle because it can't rest on MH. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and yes I have permit .
Then you have drawings that were approved. What do they say?
They were approved by head inspection. When initial inspection for footers was complete, I was told that I would need to alter my roof detail because my plan was showing rafters resting on top of mobile home. MH not rated to support extra weight. He told me to put up post and beam on outside of MH to support rafters. I just want to make sure that its all tied in together right. I can call inspector back out but will have to pay fee. I may do that anyway just looking for additional insight.

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
I can call inspector back out but will have to pay fee. I may do that anyway just looking for additional insight.
This is your best move. It doesn't matter what anyone says here, it's that guy/gal that you have to please.

·
11,730 Posts
--------Welcome to the forums!------------

You need either a ridge beam or a solid wall under the ridge board you have now, with positive connections. pp. 131, and 163; https://books.google.com/books?id=E5S9qrSNxx0C&pg=PA130&dq=structural+ridge+roof+framing&as_brr=3&cd=1#v=onepage&q=structural ridge roof framing&f=false

You also need some diagonal braces or rafters from center wall back up to rafters (mid-span on left side) to hold it all in check, if not using rafter ties on MH half. Basically, bracing the left side (as a small house) to rest the right side rafter tops on. If the rafters are rated to meet the requirements. Add 3' diagonals on each side at top of posts supporting built-up beams to fight lateral shear there. Your city/county should have guide lines for framing or at least meet one of the E-codes that are online; find the code;http://www.constructconnect.com/building-codes/?search=

Either- or, they are both here; http://premiumaccess.iccsafe.org/

Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts