DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my home for 4 years. We have a white rubbery rolled roof that is in need of replacement, but that's not going to happen this year. There are no visible leaks/cracks or splits but I would just feel better if we used some kind of coating for just one more year. The previous owner used a silver coat of some sort but we haven't used anything in 4 years. I have no idea what to use, what would be best, what is easy to apply. We are in WA, and getting into our rainy season. (I know, it's always a rainy season in WA).
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I forget there IS a dry side! Ha!
It's a membrane type roof. I don't know for sure what kind. It's white on top and black underneath and is textured.
We are looking for a temporary "peace of mind" because I have a fear of roof leaks, and subsequent damage.
We were thinking of doing it ourselves to save cost, and it doesn't seem like that big of a project, but to have the access to the quality products may present a challenge. Good idea not to go to the big box. The kids/employees don't seem to know much. We will definately try Sherwin Williams and hopefully knowledgable people.

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, a bid is coming Monday. First bid last year was 11K, another, for a 25yr warranty product was (*gasp!*) 25K. This kind of shocked us. We got to thinking we could probably reconstruct the truss system for a higher pitch and then do comp! They all said the roof was good for approximately another 3 years so we are on yr 2 right now. But as I said earlier, roof leaks scare me. We (as Realtors) become aware of hidden mold issues. I do not want them!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Approximately 4000 sq ft.
We did receive a bid from a local roofing company to reroof the entire house for close to 6K, so much, much better than the bids of the past. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me) roofers (painters, etc..fill in the blank) are feeling the enonomic pinch as well and are needing to lower their bids just to get jobs.
I am a Realtor and know many people in the home related businesses that are in need of work, so if you need work done, now is the time!! And on that note... please, don't watch the news. The housing market is NOT what it appears, especially in Washington (state). It's definitely a Buyer's market, but those Seller's have to go somewhere, right?? There are still zero and low down loans available with good credit.
Thanks for letting me rant...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the insight. I work with stable, reputable contractors that have been in business for many, many years. What I meant by their "lowering prices" is just that during this season and with the economy the way it is, I think contractors are a little more competitive with their prices whereas prior they could give a higher bid to get more money, or price themselves out of the running if they really didn't want the job. Just as retailers are making their products more affordable, so are service workers. Such is the times...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.