DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a house that needed a new roof last April, and had a contractor install it in May (10 months ago). I'm in Wisconsin, and now that the snow is melted my husband and I noticed that a part of the shingles are buckling in an area. My husband got up on the roof and pushed on it, and he said it's pulled away from the roof structure. I plan on contacting our contractor right away, but need some advice first. (The contractor is my sister-in-law's brother, and we already had a lot of issues with workmanship with in-home remodeling that he did at the same time as the roof, and really regret hiring almost-family) Our roof is on a loan, and he signed a contract guaranteeing workmanship for a year. Basically I want to know what the PROPER way to fix this issue is?? Should that whole side of the house be re-shingled? I don't want it "fixed" only to be a problem again when I'm not under contractor warranty. I'm pretty sure he's going to want to fix it cheaply, and I want to know what is RIGHT. (I don't want to be lied to about how to fix it--or have him say it's normal or something since I'm a female and he talks to me like I don't know anything, I think) Also, what could have caused this?? Please help!!! (I tried attaching the best pictures I could get---the sun was making the pictures not turn out)

Attachments

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
No way to really know what happened until some of the shingles get removed.
Any access to that area from the inside?
If so go in the attic to see if the sheathing is in full contact with the rafters.
May be he did not leave the required gap when he cut the plywood and it's buckling.
Or the plywood's delaminating.

·
Doing This Way Too Long
1,192 Posts
Need more direct photos of that valley. Also if you can get inside and look at the deck underneath the top of the valley to make sure the substrate is not damaged.
From those photo angles it almost looks like the deck at the top of the valley is collapsed. Also from those that valley looks wayyy off to the left to me.

It could be nothing to do with the roofing at all but need better photos.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Looks to me like a typical ice dam problem that one heat cable down the valley to the ground would have prevented.

There may not be mold there at this time because of lower temperatures but, without drying to below 13 percent moisture, there soon will be when the temperature gets to near 80°F.

·
11,730 Posts

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Did anyone catch this part? "The contractor is my sister-in-law's brother. We already had a lot of issues with workmanship, with in-home remodeling that he did at the same time as the roof. Really regret hiring almost-family"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.