DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone clue me in on guidelines for putting romex through metal conduit? I would like to use some pre existing conduit to get some 12/2 into the next room. Or is it only individual conductors that can go through conduit?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You can run 12-2 in 1/2 inch conduit.

Edit to add: assuming it has no other wires in it.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
If this is a complete conduit system, as in box to box and not just a sleeve, then there is no reason to use NM cable in conduit whether it is legal or not.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If its from box to box like speedy was saying, your using more effort that you need. Just pull individual conductors. If its not box to box, use bushings on each end of the conduit.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
If this is a complete conduit system, as in box to box and not just a sleeve, then there is no reason to use NM cable in conduit whether it is legal or not.
That's right. I put Romex in conduit for a short run from the outlet up to the floor joists, when I put a receptacle in my basement for a freezer. For five feet or so, you can push it through. If it is a complete conduit system, use individual wires.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Can you use 3/4 conduit? 1/2 is tight.
Sure. Anything bigger than 12-2 I would put in 3/4 conduit just because it would be a little tight. My dryer (10-3) has 3/4 inch EMT from the floor joists to the receptacle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts