DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought in topsoil to a large area for reseeding but did not compact it down before seeding. There's about 6-8" of new soil that needs to be compacted down but the grass has already grown in. Will I damage the grass by rolling it because it's sure to compact down a few inches.

·
Registered
13,643 Posts
I brought in topsoil to a large area for reseeding but did not compact it down before seeding. There's about 6-8" of new soil that needs to be compacted down but the grass has already grown in. Will I damage the grass by rolling it because it's sure to compact down a few inches.
Welcome!

Where are you? That matters as to rainfall potential and the trouble that can sometimes cause.

Generally, you should have rolled. As a friend I helped learned the hard way, decades ago. (Diana Ross had a song, "Swept away" which is what happened to that lawn in an Ohio rainstorm.)

After the fact, hmmm great question.

I'd plan on rolling it, especially if you're in a place that gets lots of rain.

First, though, I'd walk it really super carefully and see if you can find any low or soft spots now, and put in some new dirt to level things out a bit. If there's grass there, dig it up, and pack dirt under it, then gently tamp it a bit, before you roll it.

If it's really uneven, you might want to consider rolling nice and level and re-seeding. Otherwise your lawn might look like my pate does these days, with patches of reasonably nice covering, with thin and/or bald spots.

Maybe post a picture!

Again, welcome, and we hope we can help!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum. As @DoomsDave suggested, putting your location in your profile helps us to help you out.

Second, why do you feel you need to roll it? Is it uneven? Lumpy? Soft?

If you have a roller, or access to one, try rolling it without adding any weight to it. Most rollers require adding water to them to get the best benefit.

As @DD also suggested, if there are any current low spots, add soil to them now before you roll, or remove the grass and then add some top soil or sand and then tamp it down and replace the sod.

If you just wait, it will settle on it's own. Of course, it won't settle evenly as it will be of different densities. You can help with that by adding sand to the surface. It will migrate down through the grass (actually, the grass will grow up through the sand) and will also help with drainage.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I let the grass get well established before rolling Or mowing it. Rain is like a million little hammers and it will compact the soil enough for now.

Reactions: Msradell
1 - 4 of 4 Posts