DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm building a bathroom for the basement. being a very small space for both bath and laundry, my only option is to get a rolling door similar in fashion to this one below

i was wondering if any DIY-er have purchased a similar product and if so how did it work out? and where did you purchase? i'm looking to save some money on this door even tho everything i've seen so far is like 600 bucks. I've even considered modding an ikea wardrobe sliding closet door to fit this application.

i've already installed a double beam as the top beam of the wall.. hopefully it's low enough to install the guiding rail.

· Registered
7,387 Posts
That's just barn door hardware. Any local farm and fleet or agri-store will have what you need. And possibly some of the big boxes. National Hardware makes the type shown in the picture. Also any good Ace Hardware can order it for you, if you know what you want.

· Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,639 Posts
I like that your thinking of keeping the glide paths and hardware exposed so you can service it. I cannot tell you how many bathroom pocket doors I have had to take out when a kid crams a toy in the space, everybody keeps using it, and ends up warping the hanging hardware at the top or the track channel.

Do remember that if this a bathroom, you want hardware that is plated or that can otherwise stand up to the moisture and potential corrosion from it.

That glass door is beyond nice looking but you wouldn't propose to use it for the entry door to the bath would you?

· Registered
7,387 Posts
Depends on the door hardware. Light duty hardware will fasten with screws from just one side, heavier door hardware will require a two sided mount. Either will work with a standard door but the clearance will differ depending on the hardware.

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Registered
7,387 Posts
Yep....the hangers that go on the rail. And one more thing...what you are ordering is pretty heavy duty. I suggest you go somewhere that has these on display so you don't overdo (overkill) it....unless that's the look you are going for. The 6' rail is what you need, the door rollers keep the door from swinging out, either one will work. The door stops are something you may want to make out of wood, but the metal is fine. And you can always paint all the hardware to suit your decor.

· Registered
7,387 Posts
The rollers you show are to keep the bottom of the door in place. From swinging out, so to speak.

The parts you need to hang the door are the trolley rail, trolley hanger and rail brackets. 44200, 44008 and 44160 respectively. Depending on the length of the rail and the weight of the door the 24" spacing may be a bit of overkill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.