DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rolled a couple interior doors with some awesome rollers people here recommended. Looks so smooth, looks like it was sprayed. :biggrin2:

Anyway, I tried some XIM Latex Extender on the second go around and the door touch ups turned out looking ashy. What would cause that?

Is it because I maybe used too much extender or should I just use regular water?

·
Premium Member
8,029 Posts
I didn't paint the doors, I am just touching them up.
Yup, the extender is what likely "did you in." Anytime you change the consistency of the paint from what was originally used, well, that's a recipe for problems. The only way to remotely come close to touching them up with any consistency is to use the exact same paint, preferably from the original can if it's still good.

And, @amrogers3, in your first post you stated that you DID paint the doors originally. I guess you are confusing us and that's the reason for some advice that isn't hitting home.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think you are right. I think the extender is the issue.

It seems like even foam leaves a texture. What roller type best mimics the "sprayed" look? I know it won't be perfect but trying to get as close as possible. The doors were originally sprayed.

I've tried Wooster, Whizz, foam and naps.

So I have found trying to touch up, I have to paint most of the door or else the texture is off.

·
retired painter
13,140 Posts
The shorter the nap the closer it will mimic orange peel. A roller is unlikely to give a slick glass like finish.
IMO it isn't that big of a deal to reroll the flat parts of the door to get a uniform finish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.