DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a roller cover that I like very much and it is nearing the end of its life but I cannot seem to find the same kind.

Is anyone familiar with a roller cover that has kind of loose short strings on it in stead of the standard knitted variety. I would like to know what this type of roller cover is called, because it has served me well for a few 1000 sqft and it is fantastically easy to clean.

Thanks,

Thomas

·
"Beam me up, Scottie"
194 Posts
Hi,

I have a roller cover that I like very much and it is nearing the end of its life but I cannot seem to find the same kind.

Is anyone familiar with a roller cover that has kind of loose short strings on it in stead of the standard knitted variety. I would like to know what this type of roller cover is called, because it has served me well for a few 1000 sqft and it is fantastically easy to clean.

Thanks,

Thomas
Hi Thomas.

You may be referring to a sheep skin or merino wool cover. Lowes and home depot carry a decent cover. They are priced in the $10.00 range. When they are new they look different in the package, once you use the cover a few times they look similar to what you are describing.

Kevin

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
And how many thousands of gallons of increasingly fresh water have you used to wash out this thing you love? Unless your US water supplier is owned by someone other than mine it is German or something getting the profits from you wasting a diminishing resource? Buy nice, contractor grade roller covers ($3-5 retail?). Wrap them in plastic and stick them in the fridge until your are done with them. Then toss them. Don't fuss with washing the things.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wrap them in plastic and stick them in the fridge until your are done with them. Then toss them.
Good tip! I usually just put them in a plastic bag and they keep for quite a while, but I'm sure keeping them cold might keep them more moist. Going to give this a try.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't want to get started on the water thing, but I do wash my roller out after each use, its especially useful when switching to a different color. I didn't care for using the plastic over the roller until next use. Unless you are putting the roller handle in with the cover, its just a big mess, and even then you have dripping paint on the roller ends.

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
I don't want to get started on the water thing, but I do wash my roller out after each use, its especially useful when switching to a different color. I didn't care for using the plastic over the roller until next use. Unless you are putting the roller handle in with the cover, its just a big mess, and even then you have dripping paint on the roller ends.

Also you have the lady:eek: of the house to deal with, in my case, no paint brushes or rollers have ever seen the inside of the refrigerator. I am still not convinced this is even a valid procedure. Anyone have any real evidence that this actually works?I have wrapped roller covers up in plastic and left them for a week, not sure being in the frige would help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts