DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

rolled roofing product

2574 Views 1 Reply 2 Participants Last post by  Ed the Roofer
Hi, there. I am replacing a very low-pitch roof on a building. I have called a couple of building suppliers and been advised to go with rolled roofing. They both suggested the same product (a rolled roofing material made by a company called Tarco). Where I got confused is that one said it was a 3'x36' roll covering about 108 square feet, and the other said it was the same size roll (3' x 36") covering only about 54 square feet. I understood from the second supplier that the reason was the selvage (?), basically meaning that you have to lap one 3-foot-wide strip over the next 3-foot-wide strip by 18", meaning that you are doubled up, and lessening the possible coverage of each roll.

Now, I am more inclined to believe the advice of the latter supplier, since they are local and were generally more informative, but I also don't want to buy double the product if I don't need to. I have looked at some rolled roofing tutorial online that said you only need to lap the strips by 3-6", not a full 18".

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
1 - 1 of 2 Posts
Real rolled roofing is cr*p.

Buy some Liberty Peal and Stick, self adhesive membrane.

Learn from the manufacturers instructions and specifications.

Check out an ABC Supply or Bradco or Allied Building Materials if one is near you.

1 - 1 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.