DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is gaf better than tampco products? I need a new roof and i was told roofers prefer gaf over tampco please help.

·
RFN-4A-LVN
981 Posts
is gaf better than tampco products? I need a new roof and i was told roofers prefer gaf over tampco please help.
Depends on your roofer and area.

In S.W Missouri myself and many other contractors prefer Tamko to GAF.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's the reason for the preference?

Depends on your roofer and area.

In S.W Missouri myself and many other contractors prefer Tamko to GAF.
So, are you saying that it's just "what you are used to" and there's no real discernible difference between 'em?

Or are you saying that one brand is actually BETTER suited to certain regions while the other brand is BETTER suited to other regions?

Or are you saying that Tamko is definitely better than GAF - for reasons that you can list/describe - and it just happens that most of the roofers in southwest Missouri know those reasons, but large numbers of roofers in other places just haven't yet figured it out ('cuz GAF continues to sell enough that they're encouraged to remain in business, even if southwest Missouri has caught on that their product is actually second-rate...)?

What makes Tamko better for Missouri?

- kevin

PS: I have no attachment to either company's products. I'd just like to find the overall best shingle I can get for a reasonable amount of money (high end, but not gold-plated), and have some confidence that I'd found 'em because there were good, articulated, verifiable reasons for them being the best.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Certainteed is better than both. Although, the installation is more important than the product used.

The only reason GAF is so large is because of their marketing and name (Timberline). They are right in the ballpark with IKO, as far as quality up here. Quality is a regional thing though when it comes to shingles.

·
RFN-4A-LVN
981 Posts
So, are you saying that it's just "what you are used to" and there's no real discernible difference between 'em? 9quote)

I stated that it was a preference among S.W Missouri contractors.In many regions certain materials are popular by majority.

I also think Certainteed is the best manufacture hands down.But It varies by region.

Do I have documented proof which is the better? No.,am I stated that Tamko is better than GAF ?,,not necessarily.Do I prefer Tamko over GAF? yes.Does my preference mean anything? Probably not.

But I am sure that I am not alone in saying that most shingles have lowered in quality since as little as 10 years ago.

The only manufacture that has maintained a strict guideline with manufacturing roofing products is Certainteed.But once again that is my opinion and against the majority it means little.

It goes back to my initial reply saying that it really depends on who you ask and the area you are asking in.

I have installed thousands of squares of Tamko and thousands of squares of GAF,O.C,Atlas and Certainteed.

My opinion is that back in the day GAF Timberlines were a heavy duty shingle with rigid looks and awesome high definition colors.Now my opinion is they have become a lower quality shingle.I feel they have lost that thick,rigid shake look.But that's my thought.

I will use them right now,,,if the customer chooses.I give customers several manufactures to choose from.Tamko,Certainteed,O.C,GAF and Atlas.They are the ones who choose Tamko.It might also be that Tamko has a planet 60 miles away.Some areas like to keep local plants going by investing in your home state.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts