DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't reply to my old thread with the videos of Rocky Raccoon getting zapped at my hummingbird feeder. Thread is too old. So I linked it below if you want to watch those again.

https://www.diychatroom.com/f51/rocky-raccoon-632599/index3/

But he still comes 'round pretty much every night and since I put out my hummingbird feeder again, this time on a longer hook that keeps it just out of his reach, he is pissed at me. I can tell because he left me some "presents" on my upper deck near the feeder. These are currently fallow pots waiting to be planted with tomatoes probably next week. I am going to have to get serious and going to have to discourage him again, I suppose.

Attachments

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,110 Posts
I can't reply to my old thread with the videos of Rocky Raccoon getting zapped at my hummingbird feeder. Thread is too old. So I linked it below if you want to watch those again.

https://www.diychatroom.com/f51/rocky-raccoon-632599/index3/

But he still comes 'round pretty much every night and since I put out my hummingbird feeder again, this time on a longer hook that keeps it just out of his reach, he is pissed at me. I can tell because he left me some "presents" on my upper deck near the feeder. These are currently fallow pots waiting to be planted with tomatoes probably next week. I am going to have to get serious and going to have to discourage him again, I suppose.
Thank them for the free natural fertilizer:smile:

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I give them a bullet in the head.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rocky has been cleaning out my bird seed feeder every night alright. Bastard. So I pulled the feeder inside last evening and put the trail cam on the scene. Sure enough he dropped by, but this time went home hungry. You can see the hummingbird feeder in the background that he used to raid before I put it on the new longer hook. He can't reach that one like he could a couple years ago when I hung it from the smaller hook in the foreground.

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
They can get big and can be nasty, plus rabies. Check your local animal control or game warden to see if they could trap and relocate or loan you a trap ant point out a good relocate spot. Often you can't just dump them in someone else's neighborhood.

Bud

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, we had a problem with a rabid **** up at the farm. The little dog found it and made contact so he got self quarantined (before the pandemic!) for a couple of months... but these guys look healthy... and well fed. I had a trap once upon a time that I gave away. There are plenty of parks and woods here I could relocate him to if I had it.

They can get big and can be nasty, plus rabies. Check your local animal control or game warden to see if they could trap and relocate or loan you a trap ant point out a good relocate spot. Often you can't just dump them in someone else's neighborhood.

Bud

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
My son's FIL set a cage trap years back and caught a rcoon at least for a few minutes. That beast destroyed the cage and escaped.

Even dispatching them on your own property might be a problem, depends on local authorities.

Bud

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
People think it is humane to relocate nuisance animals to my farm land. They dig holes in fields and eat crops until I get a shot at them. Lots of work relocating them gets them shot. Either put up with them, kill them, or buy land somewhere to relocate them to. No one I know wants them on their property.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Persistent **** has come back the last 2 nights only to find the feeder replaced with a hanging flower basket. I tried chopping up a ghost pepper (grew and froze last year) and spread it on the rail near the hook and I got a video of him tramping though it, standing in it and sniffing it. Didn't seem to bother him at all. I was hoping I might could use that as a deterrent and leave the feeder. But no.

I wonder how many times he'll have to come by and strike out before he takes me off his regular itinerary?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I put a live trap next to the hole and try to trap them. If I catch a raccoon or woodchuck, I shoot them in the trap. If I catch the neighbor's cat, I let it go.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Persistent **** has come back the last 2 nights only to find the feeder replaced with a hanging flower basket. I tried chopping up a ghost pepper (grew and froze last year) and spread it on the rail near the hook and I got a video of him tramping though it, standing in it and sniffing it. Didn't seem to bother him at all. I was hoping I might could use that as a deterrent and leave the feeder. But no.

I wonder how many times he'll have to come by and strike out before he takes me off his regular itinerary?

Might want to try spreading some red pepper flakes instead. Maybe breathing them in while sniffing will wake him up.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,129 Posts
A live trap, then transport it into the garage, and a large wooden crate over the trap, and a hose from the exhaust of the truck, idle the truck 15 minutes, and rocky takes a permanent nap.

Bury the carcass in the south forty.

ED

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.