DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

rockwool over duct

443 6
just curious is it ok to put rockwool over HVAC duct pipe in basement joist? dont wanna be a fire hazard. i only use rockwool as sound barrier.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Building my last home
5,388 Posts
Be sure to check any joints in the ductwork and apply new metal tape to the seams. No sense having a leak when your making improvements.

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Insulation is insulation regardless of your purpose for it - is this going to put the duct outside the conditioned air envelope of the house? If not, it would be fine.
no, i use mainly for sound dampening. since its used between basement ceiling and 1st floor, no need for thermal insulation. wasn't sure if it wrap around the interior HVAC duct is hazard or not.

· Registered
11,967 Posts
.. wrap around the interior HVAC duct...
Interior ??? you mean wrapping it around the exterior of the duct, right ?

If your plan is to wrap a 6" duct, and the duct is between joists, you might be having a fair amount of fun doing that.
Might need some kerf cuts to get it around 3 sides of the duct, but all the way around will be a real challenge.
Rockwool is pretty stiff, and doesn't like to make tight bends. If you buy the acoustic rockwool, its even more stiff. (Difference between acoustic and thermal rockwool is just that the acoustic version is 25% denser).

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interior ??? you mean wrapping it around the exterior of the duct, right ?

If your plan is to wrap a 6" duct, and the duct is between joists, you might be having a fair amount of fun doing that.
Might need some kerf cuts to get it around 3 sides of the duct, but all the way around will be a real challenge.
Rockwool is pretty stiff, and doesn't like to make tight bends. If you buy the acoustic rockwool, its even more stiff. (Difference between acoustic and thermal rockwool is just that the acoustic version is 25% denser).
nah interior HVAC duct in the basement i ONLY do it due to sound dampening NOT thermal isolation. doing a home theater so need separate sound from basement to first floor. but there are duct to the vent on first floor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts