DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using a Robertson driver (manual) and the tip broke off in the screw. Not only that but I need to remove the screw. How can I remove the screw? I know there are screw removal tools but I'm guessing it wont be able to go through the tip of the Robertson that is stuck in the screw as that is a harder metal. Thanks.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
That's not good---try drilling along side the broken tip perhaps you can pry the tip out before the head is unusable.

·
uva uvam vivendo variafit
641 Posts
How far in is the screw? Can you get a set of vise grips on it? Can you grind the sides of the screw head flat to get a better grip?

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
Remember that the Robertson tip is stuck in the screw head in the diredtion in which you were turning it--sounds like you were attempting to loosen the screw. This means the tip is stuck in the CCW postition. Try using something real small but hard along with a small hammer to move the tip in the clock-wise (CW) direction. Don't beat it, just give it little "love" taps. I'm betting that this will knock it loose and you will be able to remove it easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts