DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Ring Pro Doorbell that I was about to install when I hit a snag on step one.

The first thing I have to do is install a "Pro Power Kit" that came with the Doorbell Pro that makes sure that enough power is sent to the Ring Doorbell.

However, when I removed the cover for my indoor bell, I noticed that it didn't quite match the instructions or their instructional video. It appears as though the white wires are being completely bypassed both at the doorbell and at the transformer.

I'm looking to determine if I can just proceed as if the colors of the two red wires don't matter and just continue to hook up the wires based on their previous connections to "front" and "trans" on the indoor chime.

Doorbell:

Transformer:

·
Registered
878 Posts
can just proceed as if the colors of the two red wires don't matter and just continue to hook up the wires based on their previous connections to "front" and "trans" on the indoor chime." quote

YES, if it currently has been working

But something is odd. There must be a second bell button or splice somewhere for them to have switched the colors to make it look like the whites are bypassed.

But not a big deal if it works

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There isn't a second doorbell that I'm aware of, but you have me thinking. Our house was rigged with house number signs that are lit via low voltage wire connections. Ours has never been lit up since we moved in, and I had been talking to a couple of neighbors about it, and they suggested that I get new light bulbs and check the transformer for it while I'm at it, and I never found a transformer in the garage. I wonder if the installers just split the line for both the doorbell and the house number sign. Although, I'm not sure if that makes any sense as it's completely bypassing the Transformer I took a picture of.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a side note, is that splice job on the transformer for the white wire even safe? Just electric tape?

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is unrelated to your question, but I just wanted to save you a headache in case you have issues. My Ring Pro never worked correctly until I replaced my transformer. I had a 16V 10VA doorbell. After researching a lot online, I upgraded to a 16V 30VA version. The app said that my voltage was very good, but I was still having problems. Apparently it's a common issue. This is the one that I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001POBN92/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the update, Chris. That's actually the exact one I purchased last night so I'm glad I did. I installed everything this morning and my voltage reading is right on the border of the minimum so I assume once motion sensing is activated along with night vision and live streaming...all that would probably make it dip below the minimum and cause issues. Just waiting on UPS to deliver the new transformer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this afternoon my Ring Pro's device Health was showing a voltage of 3867mV with the old transformer. This was without motion sensing enabled and it was early enough in the day that the night vision wasn't kicked on. A litter later in the day it looks like the night vision probably started to turn on as the reported voltage was 3382mV before it went offline.

The new transformer arrived and I got it all hooked up but was shocked to see an even lower voltage of 3183mV being reported, but at least the ring pro didn't go offline. I waited a little bit and got another reading showing 3472mV so I'm not exactly sure where to go from here.

Here's an image of my multimeter reading from the transformer leads. Never actually used one before, but hopefully this is what I should expect. I'm beginning to suspect that whoever wired this up was using the same transformer to try and light up our street number lights. I've never been able to find the transformer for that thing and we definitely don't have a second doorbell anywhere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, if I was to assume that this Transformer is being used for the house number lights and the doorbell, is there a way or trick to determining whether or not they were wired up in parallel or in line?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts