DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

Just discovered this water damage to the exterior framing of my house. It's above one window and below another - between floors. Debating whether to tackle this repair on my own but not sure about repairing the rim joists. Any recommendations?

Can I just repair this section?

It appears to be 2X rim joists, running perpendicular to floor joists.

I've been trying to find a contractor but having a hard time with that.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

·
retired framer
59,602 Posts
Hi there.

Just discovered this water damage to the exterior framing of my house. It's above one window and below another - between floors. Debating whether to tackle this repair on my own but not sure about repairing the rim joists. Any recommendations?

Can I just repair this section?

It appears to be 2X rim joists, running perpendicular to floor joists.

I've been trying to find a contractor but having a hard time with that.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!
Is that the rim and the header for the window in one?
Is the ceiling in the downstairs open to look at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears to be 3-4 window header boards stacked and then the rim joists on top of that (if that makes sense).

No, the downstairs ceiling is not open to look at unfortunately. It's a finished lower level. I'm willing to open it up if I have to but would love to not.

·
retired framer
59,602 Posts
It appears to be 3-4 window header boards stacked and then the rim joists on top of that (if that makes sense).

No, the downstairs ceiling is not open to look at unfortunately. It's a finished lower level. I'm willing to open it up if I have to but would love to not.
When we don't have room for a header over that window we just double the rim joist and that is what I was hoping to see .
Drill a hole from the outside and see if it is just a single at 1 1/2" or at double 3".

·
retired framer
59,602 Posts
Yes, that's what I was trying to say with the 2X (probably wrong way to say it)...but it is a double rim joist.
Then I would not be afraid to just cut the outside on and remove it. You one piece a few inches bigger than the window on each side. If the inner one is rotten too, then you will need a temp wall inside while you change it. The inner would have hangers for the joist so you would be into the ceiling for that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, cool, I was thinking the same. There is some damage to the inner rim joist but I don't think it's much...just some at the top. I'll know more if I cut away the outer joist to see. But if the inner joist is just slightly damaged at the top, and then I attached new outer joist to it, should be good, right? Not have to replace the inner joist too?

·
retired framer
59,602 Posts
Okay, cool, I was thinking the same. There is some damage to the inner rim joist but I don't think it's much...just some at the top. I'll know more if I cut away the outer joist to see. But if the inner joist is just slightly damaged at the top, and then I attached new outer joist to it, should be good, right? Not have to replace the inner joist too?
Rot is alive so you dig out what you can and paint anything with water stains with a copper treatment. The stuff for cuts on treated lumber.

The second one will be nailed to the first from the inside so good luck getting it out. Do a cut on a 45 so you can get a pry bar in a little to get it started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.