DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The plot thickens….
Just got off the phone with a structural engineer . Briefly described the situation to him. Right away he said “those pieces of wood are to support the floor joists….you don’t have a rim joist.”

i then asked how much for him to assess in person.

$600

Yikes.

·
retired framer
59,662 Posts
The plot thickens….
Just got off the phone with a structural engineer . Briefly described the situation to him. Right away he said “those pieces of wood are to support the floor joists….you don’t have a rim joist.”

$600

Yikes.
And cutting holes will not weaken them.
You do have a rim there that is supporting the wall above.

·
retired framer
59,662 Posts
I have left a few messages for other engineers to call me back. Hopefully I can get a guy to come who is less than $600. I really don’t want pay that much for his visit.
That only covers the visit and the discussion, if you are making changes you would need it in writing so that would be getting close to $2k.
As it is now, it was passed by the city or an engineer. Changing the structure would require the city or more likely an engineers stamped drawing filed with the city.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The plot thickens….

$600

Yikes.
The sill plate is supporting the joists.
The blocking was put there to hold them upright
until the plywood subfloor was glued and nailed on.
Ask the "structural engineer" how many houses he's framed.

·
Doozer
158 Posts
Wood does have some insulating value. Why not pull out a block, insulate behind it, put it back in, and move on? Use plain fiberglass (no vapor barrier and not foam) so you don't trap moisture. There's no way you can save enough money on HVAC power reduction to pay for the repairs if you get dry rot down there!

·
Hammered Thumb
3,980 Posts
I have left a few messages for other engineers to call me back.
What are looking for them to tell you?

The block is for lateral restraint of the joists, required at each end of a beam or joist at the bearing location. When a beam or joist carries load, they have a tendency to rotate. The block prevents that and is required to be 2x of the same depth as the beam or joist.

The only thing you can say is lacking is that the "rim" joist does not have any lateral restraint. But if you want to provide that there's another can of worms.

The blocking was put there to hold them upright
until the plywood subfloor was glued and nailed on.
Ask the "structural engineer" how many houses he's framed.
The blocks are not temporary. See above.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts