DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing my basement, and working on the bathroom on an exterior wall. Space is limited, so I had to use 1" x 4"'s against the wall. My plan was to put 3/4" rigid foam between the 1" x 4"'s, then tape the joints (if needed to tape?). Would this be a good method to insulate and provide the vapor barrier?

I suppose I also put a 4-mil plastic sheeting over the top of the 1" x 4"'s and the foam?

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
Depends on the type of foam and a type of facing on it. I need to know more about the foam before you can determine what the vapor permeance of it is. It is also worthy of note that three quarters of an inch of foam, any foam, is not likely to be sufficient for a climate as harsh as Minnesota.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Depends on the type of foam and a type of facing on it. I need to know more about the foam before you can determine what the vapor permeance of it is. It is also worthy of note that three quarters of an inch of foam, any foam, is not likely to be sufficient for a climate as harsh as Minnesota.
3/4 Extruded R4.0 Foam PSI. Also included pic of wall. Over the top was planning on durarock instead of drywall.

Attachments

·
11,730 Posts
Solid wood has an R-value of about R-1 per inch. You really need two inches of foam (XPS) behind the furring strips.

Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.