DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 48" Husqvarna riding mower (model YTH24V48) it works great, but mowing is messy... I seem to get my legs COVERED in grass.. I never had this issue with my old craftsman mower...

any idea of what would cause this? is the deck no on right? I think I have the blades how the manual said to... level left to right and read is about 1/2" higher then the front

suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,799 Posts
If it's windy or tall grass you will probably get some grass on you no matter what. You are correct, different manufactures will have different results.

You could try the mulching kit that came with it. If it didn't come with one, you can purchase one, they are about 20 bucks. See if that helps. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's windy or tall grass you will probably get some grass on you no matter what. You are correct, different manufactures will have different results.

You could try the mulching kit that came with it. If it didn't come with one, you can purchase one, they are about 20 bucks. See if that helps. Just a suggestion.
should of said this is with the mulch kit on

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. That is strange. If it's coming out of the mulch kit, I agree with you, something else is going on.

Is this a brand new mower?? Just starting doing this or always did this since day one??
bought it end of last season, originally didnt have mulch kit on us a shute and even then it seemed like a good bit of grass got on me, went to much because that's what I want to do and it only seemed to get worse with the smaller clippings

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm reading this is a pre-owned mower, you've had the blades off and you've adjusted the deck in some way. Are all these questions true?
no it was brand new, I just bought it at the end of last season

deck adjustment wise I just checked the levelness of it left ot right and that it was tipped forward 1/2" like the manual specified

Reactions: SeniorSitizen

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
I skimmed thru the online manual. It said the forward tilt should be 1/8 to 1/2 inch. So unless the mulching kit instructions give you different instructions (like use 1/2), I’d set the tilt to near the minimum 1/8 to see if that improves things or not.

·
Super Moderator
7,799 Posts
bought it end of last season, originally didnt have mulch kit on us a shute and even then it seemed like a good bit of grass got on me, went to much because that's what I want to do and it only seemed to get worse with the smaller clippings
You seem to have done everything correctly by the book. Blade, mulch kit, deck all adjusted by the book. I would give the dealer a call and ask them if there is an adjustment that may not be in the book or that you have overlooked. Could be something simple like mulch kit not installed correctly or wrong mulch kit for your model or something isn't adjusted right, etc. Idk.

It's possible that it may be a normal function for that type of model.

It's less than a year old, and should still be covered under the basic warantee, just let them know what is going on and that you are not satisfied with the issue you seem to be having. husqvarna is a great company and will correct any problem if there is one.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Copied:
Air Induction mowing technology improves airflow within the deck, ensuring a clean, consistent cut every time.

Being the blades look correctly installed as you mentioned maybe their Air Induction technology is the problem.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
should of said this is with the mulch kit on
Unfortunately it is just poor design.
Where is the grass coming from....or can you tell?
A mulch kit cuts the grass into finer particles that can escape through a poorly designed deck or mulch plug. If you have a lot to cut you can try a bagger attachment or a tow behind sweeper.
But the mulching kit on that mower may be something you have to live with.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
I’d set the tilt to near the minimum 1/8 to see if that improves things or not.
Believe it or not it will cut much better with more of a tilt.
I always painstakingly kept mine level until I found out otherwise. I figured that had to be the best way for an even cut. I was wrong.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Put a rubber flap on the back of the deck. Our Ferris mowers have it. It makes stripes like a baseball field.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately it is just poor design.
Where is the grass coming from....or can you tell?
A mulch kit cuts the grass into finer particles that can escape through a poorly designed deck or mulch plug. If you have a lot to cut you can try a bagger attachment or a tow behind sweeper.
But the mulching kit on that mower may be something you have to live with.
the grass is blowing out from under the front of the deck not the back... which is the opposite of what you'd think since the front is lower then the back

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
the grass is blowing out from under the front of the deck not the back... which is the opposite of what you'd think since the front is lower then the back
I had a Cub Cadet mower with a mulching kit from the factory.
Along the front end of the deck there was a steel trim that went all around the deck, on the inside parallel to the ground . That kept the grass from being shot out like yours does.
I still think that poor design sums it up.

·
Big Dog
3,762 Posts
Is the mulch cover installed correctly per the included instructions?

I ask because when I was getting the cover for my JD, a number of reviews claimed that it did not seal well causing grass to blow up around it.

It turned out those people were removing the chute. The instructions illustrate the chute is to remain on. It's spring loaded action is used to help hold the cover in place.

I bought the cover, installed it per the instructions and it has worked great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.