DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently re did my roof from light beige to grey shingles. two existing turbine vents were removed for aesthetics and a 15 ft ridge vent was placed at the top of my HIP roof. I live in Tulsa and immediately found that the up stairs A/C was not able to cool below 75 w/outside temp 103. The turbines worked fine before but I am trying to sell and box vents look better. The ridge vent is probably too small (15ft. on 1400 sqft of attic space). so my solution(the roofer is not much help) is to go ahead and have 4 box vents added for extra ventilation. I don't care what anyone says the turbine vents worked great for years. The just look ugly. I have R-38 in the ceiling and good soffit venting.
Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ridge vents vs. pot vents

my roof is pyramid shape or trapazoidal shape and the top ridge line is only 15 feet. I think one would get a real risk of water intrusion with putting ridge vents on the downward ridges. According to calcuations for an attic space of 1400 sqft, I need 2 square feet of venting on the top. Living in Tulsa and having dark shingles probably means I should be over 2. If 18 square inches per linear foot of ridge vent is a correct figure, I am at 1.87 sq ft.
You are right, my roofer screwed me. but he is willing to make it right. He offered to put back my two turbine vents or pot vents if I want. I thought about dormer vents and will certainly look into the solar powered. Putting 4 pot vents gives me 1.38 sqft. It seems reasonable that the pot vents and the ridge vent would give me what I need with some cushion. I think my basic question is whether pot or box vents will work as well as turbine vents in a hot climate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.