DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to put in a ridge vent until I saw the amount of work I would have to do.

Now I'm looking at these ridge vents in HD for 10 bucks. Large boxes that you cut a hole into your roof and mount.....

I have roughly a 1000 sq foot attic. House built in 1986. It has a continuous soffit vent with vent baffles and two gable vents (one on each side). But no ridge or "top side" venting".

Is a ridge vent better than a regular roof ceiling mounted attic vent?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,925 Posts
I'm not sure of your location, but are you having problems currently you feel are related to attic ventilation

There are guidelines for estimating how much (NFA) net free vent area you should have, but they are not rock solid required numbers. Many other factors involved and you may not need to change anything.

Location and current concerns first.

Bud

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure of your location, but are you having problems currently you feel are related to attic ventilation

There are guidelines for estimating how much (NFA) net free vent area you should have, but they are not rock solid required numbers. Many other factors involved and you may not need to change anything.

Location and current concerns first.

Bud
Thanks,

I live in Southern MD. I'm pretty much redoing roof areas/attic and sealing around the chimney. I notice condensation on inside of roof areas (nails etc) So I"m thinking more ventilation should help.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I used to be a big fan of ridge vents and installed a bunch over the years. But I once pulled some off that had the fiberglass mesh/filter what ever you want to call it, that was very dirty. It got me thinking that eventually that sort of dirt build up has to reduce the air flow over time. We all certainly change the filters on our furnace regularly. So now before I bought a ridge vent I would want to know if it has any sort of fiberglass or foam that could eventually get dirty enough to reduce its efficiency.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to be a big fan of ridge vents and installed a bunch over the years. But I once pulled some off that had the fiberglass mesh/filter what ever you want to call it, that was very dirty. It got me thinking that eventually that sort of dirt build up has to reduce the air flow over time. We all certainly change the filters on our furnace regularly. So now before I bought a ridge vent I would want to know if it has any sort of fiberglass or foam that could eventually get dirty enough to reduce its efficiency.
I did notice this at HD, they had the ridged sectional ones made by GAF. They had that stuff underneath. I might tear it all out before installing it and/or use just some fiberglass door screen.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The ridgid gaf ones that hd carries are probably snow country, a quality ridge vent.
If you go with standard vents, get the good ones. I like the steel slant back style. You would probably need to goto a real Roofing supplier.
Standard vents work fine, just make sure you use enough, most of them are 50nfa each. The molded plastic ridge vents are usually around 17nfa per foot.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Soffit and ridge venting became big since the ice dam became a news. If your problem is condensation, you should see first if there are holes from the floor below and attic floor insulation to separate the air conditioned air from the attic air. Range hood - is it ducted and joints sealed? Do you have fire place? If outside moisture is a problem (near a lake or pond or a golf course?), venting brings in more. You need better than passive venting, such as a fan.

·
Usually Confused
7,070 Posts
What about ridge vent performance when the roof is covered in snow? Our current house has turbine vents that sit up a 1' or so collar (plus the height of the turbine) and we've had some years when even they are covered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts