DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that can help me figure out the cause of black sooty particles generated by the elctric Marathon hot water heater? It is coming from the hot water heater. It is not the pipes or the fixtures.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Only thing i can think of is a disenagration of the washer in the dielectic nipple area.

Can you please post a couple pictures of hwh. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have rural water which in our case is the same as city. It is an electric water heater. About six years old. I t has been doing this for about four years. Rheem customer service has been no help.
The soot particles are oily and will smear around the edges of the tub or sink. It is definitely worst in the tub. I think because of the volume. When it is bad, it looks like someone took black spraypaint and made a ring around the tub. When you wipe it off, it smears. It does come up with abrasive cleansers. If you put it in a glass pitcher, it is spread throughout. Not like a film on the surface. The tank has been drained and flushed once a month for six months. It helps for a week or two. Somebody suggested it was an anode. We just installed new pipes and fixtures in a remodel. Thinking we need a different water heater. This was recommended by the Rural electric cooperative when we bought it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My Marathon is 7 yrs old this month and never any problems ( they have/need no anode BTW). Good old hard well water is all it's known..
I bet Ghostmaker got it figured out. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. My couplings look exactly like those! That is the onluy part that was not changed out! Wha type of connection lines are best?

·
Registered
723 Posts
We have rural water which in our case is the same as city. It is an electric water heater. About six years old. I t has been doing this for about four years. Rheem customer service has been no help.
The soot particles are oily and will smear around the edges of the tub or sink. It is definitely worst in the tub. I think because of the volume. When it is bad, it looks like someone took black spraypaint and made a ring around the tub. When you wipe it off, it smears. It does come up with abrasive cleansers. If you put it in a glass pitcher, it is spread throughout. Not like a film on the surface. The tank has been drained and flushed once a month for six months. It helps for a week or two. Somebody suggested it was an anode. We just installed new pipes and fixtures in a remodel. Thinking we need a different water heater. This was recommended by the Rural electric cooperative when we bought it.
One possibility: if there is an aerator on the spigots (a screw cap on the end with a little mesh in it designed to spread out the water flow a bit), unscrew it and see if there is disintegrated slimy black gunk inside from old washers. I found a sink like that in an old DC apartment once.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
All copper flexible lines will work and last a long time.

Or these 100% stainless lines
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-...2-Piece-0437124/205344123?N=5yc1vZbqolZ25ecod

Whats happening is Chlorine in your water is eating the rubber in your current flez hoses.

Trouble shot this problem a long time ago for a customer . I was the third plumber that actually fixed the problem.

It also will occur on individual faucets with flex lines and a rubber hose core.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Ghostmaker.

All copper flexible lines will work and last a long time.

Or these 100% stainless lines
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-...2-Piece-0437124/205344123?N=5yc1vZbqolZ25ecod

Whats happening is Chlorine in your water is eating the rubber in your current flez hoses.

Trouble shot this problem a long time ago for a customer . I was the third plumber that actually fixed the problem.

It also will occur on individual faucets with flex lines and a rubber hose core.
Thank you. I replaced the sharkbite flex lines with copper flex and haven't seen anymore of the soot! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I encountered the same slimy soot in the tank on my toilets when I lived in town with city water. ...Chlorine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts