DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The present state of my home is that I have all of the knob and tube eliminated on the first floor and basement. I have a new subpanel in the master bedroom and I have new circuits in place with cable going up into the attic terminating in junction boxes. But all of the second floor is run off of knob and tube wiring except for the bathroom (there is 1 fixture still on knob and tube wire) and 1 of the light fixtures. The second floor ceiling has had R-11 insulation installed, for the time being I've pulled it back off of all wire.

I don't have the time yet to pull cable for all of the wall receptacles, but I can run new cable to the lights and I could put in junction boxes where the K&T drops down to the receptacles, then I can come back and pull new romex cables when I am able to get to it, but for the time being with winter coming I want the attic insulation in place (I intend to put a layer of R30 unfaced insulation over the existing layer.

What does code say about this approach? Do I need to maintain some distance from K&T to insulation or something? Any suggestions or tips to bear in mind?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Definitely not my area of expertise, but how hard would it be to just complete the wiring work before the insulation? As we've all surely seen, the job left almost done tends to stay that way far longer than we plan. I'm sure it will feel really nice to have it all done and insulated by the time it gets cold out.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The barrier to pulling wire in the walls is the fact that I have 3 bedrooms and a bathroom on the second floor, and 2 of those bedrooms are home to 3 kids and each has an IKEA Stuva loft bed that weigh about 370 lbs. Each bed needs to be dismantled and removed in order to access the wall. This might be a Christmas break project, but the household priority is that most of the family would rank remodeling the second floor bathroom higher.

I'm not inclined to disagree, I haven't seen any K&T wire that is in bad condition, but the present state is that it would be in contact with attic insulation had I kept the insulation in place. That much I can resolve with a nose to the grindstone evening.

Also a part of the equation is the fact I'm coming towards the end of a much more major project on the first floor where I'm putting in a full bath where one did not exist. I'm currently in the process of tiling floors and will be ready to tile the shower and bathroom walls this weekend.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some searching and found mention of a 3" air gap to K&T wiring but no citation.

At the same time, if I'm placing my junction box so as to minimize the exposed K&T remaining in the attic, I'm setting up a 1 gang box that I'll be using as a junction box for the splice to be covered by insulation. Per NEC 314.29 it must be accessible, but that would be left up to interpretation whether batts of fiberglass insulation means it is or is not accessible.

When I come back to replace the K&T run in the walls below, I can move the box to the rafter so they're above insulation. But for the time being, I'm going to need to place the box as low as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts