I'm trying to troubleshoot the lack of power I'm getting from an outlet ... and I'm wondering if the existing wiring has somehow been reversed. I'd love to swap the black(yellow) and white wiring to test the possibility, but I'm not sure the ramifications if I'm wrong and wanted to ask first.
Details of what I'm dealing with:
- See attached picture of the outlet.
- It is a bathroom ceiling fan outlet connected to a wall switch.
- I've tested electricity at the wall switch and it is ok.
- I've tested electricity coming to the outlet in the picture, and all the wires are live.
- The wall switch successfully turns on and off current to the socket.
- I had a replacement socket head (with attached wires) sent to me from the fan company in case the old one was faulty, but swapping it has not fixed the problem.
- The wires going into the socket head are live.
In short, it appears all wiring leading up to the socket head itself are working, and the socket head is brand new ... but ... there is no power to anything I plug in. The fan won't power up. And separate appliances I've plugged in also don't power up. The fan and separate appliances all work fine with other outlets.
So this leaves me wondering if the black and white wires were potentially wired backwards ... or if that would even cause the socket not to work.
Any help/thoughts appreciated and ty.