DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post :) I've recently installed a generator inlet for power outages which seem to be happening more frequently around here (central NJ). I needed to make some space, but have used up the last 2 full size spots in my GE 200a panel. I am now looking at purchasing an EV car and would like to charge it with 240a. I'm trying to find out if there is an approved and safe method to reuse the same breaker for 2 purposes. 99.9% of the time I'd like to use it for charging my EV, but I'd also like to use it for generator power when we lose it from the grid.

The one idea I've come up with is to mount a 240a outlet connected to the breaker and put a male connector on the other end of generator inlet wires inside the garage. When I want to power the house via the generator, I would plug the male connector into the outlet and then fire up and connect the generator as you normally would.

Is that a bad idea? I know safety-wise if I would connect the generator before connecting to the outlet in the garage it would then be live. Is there some sort of bypass switch I can use? Outside of putting in a sub, I'd like to know if there are any other options. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,815 Posts
Can't be done since the generator inlet needs to only be energized when the power is off. You won't be able to turn it on to charge the EV unless you turn off the main breaker. Then you have no power to charge the EV and the rest of the house.
You should look into a sub panel to gain more breaker spots.

·
Electrician
384 Posts
What you are thinking of doing is a code violation and a safety hazard.

If you do not have room for a circuit for an EV charger, install a sub-panel to make room in the 200 amp panel for the circuit(s).

Use an approved interlock kit if they are permitted in your area, otherwise an approved transfer switch.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hi all, my first post :) I've recently installed a generator inlet for power outages which seem to be happening more frequently around here (central NJ). I needed to make some space, but have used up the last 2 full size spots in my GE 200a panel. I am now looking at purchasing an EV car and would like to charge it with 240a. I'm trying to find out if there is an approved and safe method to reuse the same breaker for 2 purposes. 99.9% of the time I'd like to use it for charging my EV, but I'd also like to use it for generator power when we lose it from the grid.

The one idea I've come up with is to mount a 240a outlet connected to the breaker and put a male connector on the other end of generator inlet wires inside the garage. When I want to power the house via the generator, I would plug the male connector into the outlet and then fire up and connect the generator as you normally would.

Is that a bad idea? I know safety-wise if I would connect the generator before connecting to the outlet in the garage it would then be live. Is there some sort of bypass switch I can use? Outside of putting in a sub, I'd like to know if there are any other options. Thanks!

Yes, it's a bad idea. The cord you are describing for plugging in the generator is called a suicide cord, and for good reason.

To do this safely, the breaker on your generator inlet needs an interlock with the main breaker, so that both can not be turned on at the same time. That would prevent you from using the same breaker for the car charger.

You may be able to free up space in your panel for additional circuits by installing tandem breakers, which fit 2 breakers in the space normally occupied by a single breaker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the quick replies. I hadn't really thought of that as a suicide cable, but I guess that's just what it is, just with multiple connection points. I will definitely look for a different path.

I am already full with tandem breakers so will need to figure something else out or go for the sub.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Put a sub panel in to free up more breaker slots. A 12-16 slot 125A panel is only around $60. Add a 1.5” x y” conduit nipple and a feeder breaker and a few feet of THHN wire and you are good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts