DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Return air vent question

6499 Views 5 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  beenthere
Ill go ahead and state i dont know much about home hvac

Im in the process of a big remodel on a older home. And I believe its called the cold air return vent. Its a 20x25 vent in the hallway. I am wanting to do a couple of things to it. First off i was going to go with a wooden cover to update it ( cheapest place i found them about 100 bucks for a 20x25 if anyone is looking also.

But anyways i can tell they did a horrible job they use to have a really small one (crappy patch up job too and then moved the 20x25 higher on the wall) and its vented just into a enclosed wall about 4'x2'. The sheetmetal comes to the subfloor then its just open space to the filter. I pulled the next wall wood panel down to drywall it and i prob shop vac 4lbs of dust/dirt from that area. So i would like to put a sheetmetal box from the floor to the vent to keep it enclosed.

Whats the best way to do this what size sheetmetal, hardware to use rivet/screws or even weld, kind of caulk. I want to do this the right way.

Also since they changed the size of it how do i know thats the right size is bigger always better? I would like to do a slimmer one but i dont want to cut air flow.
1 - 3 of 6 Posts
how do i find that out

heres a pic of the plate on the a/c


See less See more
I think im going to stay at 20x25 for now reading thru some things since this is a old a/c if i ever upgrade i prob will need a 3 ton . I have roughly 1300sq ft on the first floor. Then im putting a windowless a/c in the frog so i think the 20x25 will cover either. It says it has 52% clear area....about 12% less then the metal units. Now i just got figure out the best way to get it enclosed.

thanks for the help
1 - 3 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.