DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed retrofit halo5/6 inch led into halo shallow recessed cans. Replaced switch with a Leviton dimmmer compatible led. There is a slight noise from the lights which I read is somewhat normal. Also, there is a single momentary blink of the led lights every so often. It is not flickering. What could cause this? Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I suggest double checkIng the bulb for dimmer rating. As far as dimmer switches, I prefer Lutron and am happy to pay the difference. We just swapped out a led 12 watt led for a 23 watt kit in a high hat on a 15 year old Lutron dimmer rated for 600 watts that first served incandence bulbs. Never heard a hum or peep and still don't.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the retrofit lights not considered led bulbs? Difference between an electronic dimmer and the Leviton dimmer? Also, can a normal light switch be used instead of the dimmer? Is the momentary blink a safety concern? Thanks.

·
Registered
774 Posts
There are led bulbs and integrated led fixtures. The difference between your dimmer and an electronic dimmer is yours is forward phase (rough on electronics) and electronic dimmers are reverse phase. A regular light switch should eliminate any buzzing or flicker. I don't believe the flicker is a safety issue.

My advice. Pull the led down to get the exact part number and check to see if it's been tested and approved with your dimmer. Halo went through three different widely distributed trims last year (if my source is correct) due to complaints of humming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.