DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I have gas!
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing hurricane ties to the rafters and top plate on the interior side. Since these are being installed on the interior, what precautions do I need to do to minimize any condensation issues that I may have? This was mentioned in the strong-tie installation guide but no clear direction on how to do that.
TIA

·
Registered
37,177 Posts
Not sure how hurricane ties would have anything to do with condensation.
What are you using to drive the nails?
A palm nailer and some ear protection works great in tight places.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Ever see condensation on shingle nails ?

If someone is leaking warm humid air into an attic with with cold ambient temps, almost any metal exposed to the ambient cold can cause condensation. The larger the metal, the more water it will condense and drip.

Hurricane ties are more likely to show water spots in the ceiling below than shingle nails.

Sounds like they may have lost a lawsuit or two.

Gee judge, I never had a condensation problem until I put hurricane ties in ?

I'd look around the attic for signs of condensation on other metal. No signs, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have signs, I'd try to run down the humid air source/problem before putting the additional metal up there

·
I have gas!
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. These are going into 100 year old lumber so it's pre-drill and tap with hammer. Not sure the inspector will call me on having them installed or not but I don't want to give them any reason to look closer than they need to.

·
Registered
37,177 Posts
There not going to even be required on old construction.
I've installed hundreds of them and never once had any condensation issues.
With a palm nailer there is no drilling needed, it pounds the nail in, in seconds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts