DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my tub overflow. The stainless steel cover plate screws that held the overflow cover plate to the bronze overflow pipe have corroded away. With virtually no shank to extract them with locking pliers, it appears galvanic corrosion has frozen the threads. Replacing the overflow pipe is not ideal because I would have to remove the water heater first to gain access. I'm thinking I might be able to cutoff the exposed screw shank and redrill/tap new threads. Has anyone done this before and/or offer some recommendations? Thank you.

·
retired framer
49,215 Posts
To drill out a screw you need a flat surface and center punch the center to guide the drill bit. The brass will be much softer so if you miss the drill will just walk off the screw. You may have to clamp the pipe to the tub with a small F clamp. I would start with a small hole for a pilot and drill bigger and bigger bits until you get to size that can be tapped.
If that fails you might drill and tap the pipe at the back of the overflow and use a cover with one screw.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts