DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to your forum but hope to participate wit both questions and answers, if I know them. But first a question- since my house burned down in the Woolsey fire, I will have to build a upper foundation/ retaining wall that will taper from about 2 ft. high to 6 ft. high over 80 ft. The french drain behind it needs to drain somewhere, but most of the ground on the downhill side will be pretty level. A center drain I can run through a 4" ABS pipe in a crawl space under the house and keep it relatively hi above the front yard level. At that point the wall footing would be 3 ft. above the front yard grade.The drain on the highest side needs to "see daylight" somewhere in the front yard. But the ground doesn't slope enough to have a 4' pipe come out above ground. Does that make sense? Like a basement wall with the floor of the basement at grade all the way to the front of the property. How can I terminate the drain pipe?

·
retired framer
63,258 Posts
Hello, new to your forum but hope to participate wit both questions and answers, if I know them. But first a question- since my house burned down in the Woolsey fire, I will have to build a upper foundation/ retaining wall that will taper from about 2 ft. high to 6 ft. high over 80 ft. The french drain behind it needs to drain somewhere, but most of the ground on the downhill side will be pretty level. A center drain I can run through a 4" ABS pipe in a crawl space under the house and keep it relatively hi above the front yard level. At that point the wall footing would be 3 ft. above the front yard grade.The drain on the highest side needs to "see daylight" somewhere in the front yard. But the ground doesn't slope enough to have a 4' pipe come out above ground. Does that make sense? Like a basement wall with the floor of the basement at grade all the way to the front of the property. How can I terminate the drain pipe?
I would want my house above the street level some but I am guessing there is now storm sewer at the street to tie to.

·
Hammered Thumb
4,172 Posts
Having a hard time visualizing the description. Are you rebuilding on an existing foundation, have no opportunity to re-grade and little space between the wall and house, so that is why you would pipe through the crawlspace to the front? Or are you starting from scratch? You're retaining a hill behind you, so isn't there a dropoff somewhere in front of you, or room on either side of the house to run around it?

Pics once you accumulate a few posts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.