DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Retaining wall Bowing and earth above sinking.. please help

contractor, set a base, set draining pipes and leveled and graded .. maybe he did not compact enough ?

since wall is moving can i anchor it down
and then top fill and compact ?

also we received torrential rainfall over last week and this was done 2 weeks ago so the wall is brand spanking new.

see pic below

http://tinypic.com/r/33vl1mt/9

please help

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,472 Posts
Did they build drainage into this?

looks as not.

There should be a drain built into the back of this to allow rain to drain from the fill and not weigh it heavily and bulge it out.

A perforated drain tube, and filter cloth, to send the seeping water out to a proper channel away from your living space.

ED

I missed the part about drain tubes being there. OOPS

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they build drainage into this?

looks as not.

There should be a drain built into the back of this to allow rain to drain from the fill and not weigh it heavily and bulge it out.

A perforated drain tube, and filter cloth, to send the seeping water out to a proper channel away from your living space.

ED

I missed the part about drain tubes being there. OOPS
yes drains built in and water flowing from drains .. so we're good there ...
Block manufacturer said no need for anchors ors mesh to hold up wall .. is that right ? as far as i know contractor did everything as per what was specked.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,472 Posts
I really can't tell the height of your wall, but if it is over 3 blocks high I would have tried some kind of stabilization method, no matter what the manufacturer said.

Maybe you had more rainfall than the drainage could handle, it happens sometimes when you are dealing with nature.

At this point I would dismantle most of it and realign it, and use CONSTRUCTION ADHESIVE to make that wall one unit.

This will lock them all together and they cannot bow again.

ED

·
PE Mechanical Engineer
647 Posts
If it was built as a long straight wall there is nothing to prevent the wall from being bowed out. If it is held together with adhesive, there is still nothing to prevent the whole wall from toppling over as a unit. What sort of base was used?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,472 Posts
If a person builds a system of dead men, tie backs, or whatever your part of the country calls them. it will not topple over when adhesive is used to lock the wall solid.

At each end and possibly in the center depending on the length, trench back as far as you can get 4 feet is good if possible, build a base as before, and adhere more blocks jointed with your wall.

But not as high, just enough to add stability, then cover these dead men with soil, and plant your petunias.

ED

1 - 6 of 6 Posts