In an earlier post I covered the restoration of a Millers Falls Block Plane
given to me by my father-in-law.
Along with that plane, I was given a No 4 Stanley-Bailey which was in worse shape than the Millers Falls block plane.
After dismantling the plane, I soaked all the ferrous metal parts in Evapo-Rust for 24 hours. I then cleaned up the most stubborn and brass parts with a brass brush wheel on my bench grinder.
The sole was further cleaned with a wire wheel on my Dremel and wiped down in lacquer thinner, It was then tapped off with painters tape including wads twisted into any threaded opening. I then sprayed it with three light coats of Rustoleum Industrial Black enamel paint.
While that was drying, I worked on the iron.
I set the angle at 20-degrees using my Veritas Sharpening system. I then worked it through my 300, 600 and 1200 diamond sharpening plates. This was finished off by a stropping on a leather pad loaded with extra fine buffing compound.
After reassembly, I clamped a foot long piece of 2 by spruce pine in my vice and ran the plane over it increasing the blade depth little by little until it began to shave. After some minor adjustments, I was getting full length onion thin shavings.
Here are images of the progress.