DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've just moved into a new flat and discovered original parquet flooring underneath the existing.There appears to be some adhesive left behind (see attached photo) and I was hoping to get some advice on how to remove it.

Any pointers would be amazing.

Thanks

Attachments

·
retired painter
11,342 Posts
They say parquet can withstand one sanding/refinishing. IMO all you can do is try a small area to see how it goes. Not sure it's worth the effort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could be right on the effort. The trying a small area is a great idea and I think that's what I'll do. Would you say the adhesive could come off simply with sanding?

·
Very Stable Genius
4,589 Posts
I'm no expert on this, but I'd try to remove the worst of the adhesive/backing
with a heat gun and scraper before attacking with a sander.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree with using a heat gun and scraper to remove the majority of the old adhesive. It will save on sand paper. Once you've scraped off all that you can, the rest will sand off. In most cases when floors have adhesive like this, it actually acts as a pretty good barrier and protects the wood beneath pretty well. So once you get it off and sanded, it should finish up nicely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You'll go through a ton of sand paper if you try using it on the glue. Heat and scrape is by far the best, albeit not the easiest, method of prepping the subfloor. It's some hard work, but it's much more cost efficient

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually gave the heat gun and scraper a go yesterday and it does work well. It'll be long process but you're right the wood is really well preserved. The end result should come up great. Really chuffed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Incase anybody comes across this in the future I have found the solution!

So, simply scrapping and pulling the sticky underlay up off the wood does not work well. It's ripped a bunch of splinters into a small area of my floor. I tried adhesive removers to loosen it but it only helps very slightly. THE BEST WAY by far is getting yourself down to B&Q and buying a £20 wallpaper steamer. It works like a dream. The adhesive is still there but that's where you get somebody in to give it a proper sand.

Thanks for all the suggestions. You live and you learn

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
With a few truck loads of labor it could look like this one we did in 2009 at our daughter's house. But we cheated by removing it, running it through a drum sander and having several hours of old wax build -up scraping edges and detail random orbit sanding parties out on the deck.

Hang in there :vs_cool:and we'll like progress pics most any time, plus encouragement from us is only a few key strokes away.

Attachments

·
retired painter
11,342 Posts
That is a different parquet than what I'm accustom to seeing. All I've seen is like what I have; multiple oak strips to make a square, 4 squares in each 'tile' with wire on the backside to hold it all together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts