DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends I was about to cook on my stove today and on accident locked the oven door instead of hitting the surface unlock button. In my defense the buttons look almost identical and I was on coffee number one lol

Anyway for whatever reason this tripped the breaker and when I turned it on the stove has power but only enough to make the clock work. I plugged the washer/dryer combo into the receptacle to try it and the washer runs but not the dryer. I'm no electrician but I think this is a double pole 25x2 50amp and one side is bad. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks much.
Electrical wiring Cable Gas Electrical supply Electronic engineering

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does sound like only one side reset. Turn the breaker off and back on.

Both sides of the brea,er are 50 amps, not 25 x 2.
Thanks. I've done a that a few times without any luck, same outcome. The breaker does feel "soft" compared to my other 50amp one when toggled on/off

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you plug in a dryer which is 30 amps into a 50 amp receptacle? Are they adjacent to each other? Why would you do that? Do you have a multimeter? Can you check voltage from the hots to the ground? Plug the stove back in and hit the "oven lock" switch and hold it for 3 seconds.
Thanks. The washer/dryer combo has been plugged into a 50amp for years without issue. A local electrician installed it. I've got the oven to unlock, but still "the stove has power but only enough to make the clock (and unlock) work".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That breaker is very elderly, and I'm not entirely sure it even belongs in a Westinghouse/Challenger/BRyant panel. It's got more of a GE or ITE vibe to it lol. Suffice it to say it doesn't owe you anything, and you may be best off just replacing it with the correct breaker for your panel. They are like $15.

Well it's possible a washer-dryer combo actually needs 40A. There is no 40A receptacle design, so 40A appliances use the 50A receptacle and plug.

Otherwise, if it's caught on a future inspection, it is not a defense to say an electrician did it or the last inspector missed it. To be a waiver it needs to be basically in writing.
I never knew that about Westinghouse/Challenger/BRyant issue, appreciate the pro input very much. I may just hire a local electrician to come take a look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Judging by the looks of that breaker, I suspect it has fulfilled it's life expectancy.

Looks like it was bounced around in the back of an electrical contractor's truck for awhile.

Has this panel ever been wet?
Judging by the looks of that breaker, I suspect it has fulfilled it's life expectancy.

Looks like it was bounced around in the back of an electrical contractor's truck for awhile.

Has this panel ever been wet?
LOL yeah it's old and never been wet. Arizona and it's covered, very dusty though. Good news is it's been replaced and everything is working again as it has for many years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts