DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
That breaker is very elderly, and I'm not entirely sure it even belongs in a Westinghouse/Challenger/BRyant panel. It's got more of a GE or ITE vibe to it lol. Suffice it to say it doesn't owe you anything, and you may be best off just replacing it with the correct breaker for your panel. They are like $15.

Thanks. The washer/dryer combo has been plugged into a 50amp for years without issue. A local electrician installed it.
Well it's possible a washer-dryer combo actually needs 40A. There is no 40A receptacle design, so 40A appliances use the 50A receptacle and plug.

Otherwise, if it's caught on a future inspection, it is not a defense to say an electrician did it or the last inspector missed it. To be a waiver it needs to be basically in writing.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
I never knew that about Westinghouse/Challenger/BRyant issue, appreciate the pro input very much. I may just hire a local electrician to come take a look.
Simplest way is just post pictures of any labeling on your panel or inside the deadfront cover (if you're comfortable removing it). We can figure out what brand of panel you have, and which modern breaker is correct for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts