DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends I was about to cook on my stove today and on accident locked the oven door instead of hitting the surface unlock button. In my defense the buttons look almost identical and I was on coffee number one lol

Anyway for whatever reason this tripped the breaker and when I turned it on the stove has power but only enough to make the clock work. I plugged the washer/dryer combo into the receptacle to try it and the washer runs but not the dryer. I'm no electrician but I think this is a double pole 25x2 50amp and one side is bad. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks much.
Electrical wiring Cable Gas Electrical supply Electronic engineering

·
Super Moderator
17,555 Posts
It does sound like only one side reset. Turn the breaker off and back on.

Both sides of the brea,er are 50 amps, not 25 x 2.

Reactions: AZNH

·
Naildriver
19,951 Posts
How did you plug in a dryer which is 30 amps into a 50 amp receptacle? Are they adjacent to each other? Why would you do that? Do you have a multimeter? Can you check voltage from the hots to the ground? Plug the stove back in and hit the "oven lock" switch and hold it for 3 seconds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you plug in a dryer which is 30 amps into a 50 amp receptacle? Are they adjacent to each other? Why would you do that? Do you have a multimeter? Can you check voltage from the hots to the ground? Plug the stove back in and hit the "oven lock" switch and hold it for 3 seconds.
Thanks. The washer/dryer combo has been plugged into a 50amp for years without issue. A local electrician installed it. I've got the oven to unlock, but still "the stove has power but only enough to make the clock (and unlock) work".

·
Super Moderator
17,555 Posts
If you have a multimeter and feel comfortable taking the panel cover off you can check voltage at the breaker terminals. It should be 240 between the two screws.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
That breaker is very elderly, and I'm not entirely sure it even belongs in a Westinghouse/Challenger/BRyant panel. It's got more of a GE or ITE vibe to it lol. Suffice it to say it doesn't owe you anything, and you may be best off just replacing it with the correct breaker for your panel. They are like $15.

Thanks. The washer/dryer combo has been plugged into a 50amp for years without issue. A local electrician installed it.
Well it's possible a washer-dryer combo actually needs 40A. There is no 40A receptacle design, so 40A appliances use the 50A receptacle and plug.

Otherwise, if it's caught on a future inspection, it is not a defense to say an electrician did it or the last inspector missed it. To be a waiver it needs to be basically in writing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That breaker is very elderly, and I'm not entirely sure it even belongs in a Westinghouse/Challenger/BRyant panel. It's got more of a GE or ITE vibe to it lol. Suffice it to say it doesn't owe you anything, and you may be best off just replacing it with the correct breaker for your panel. They are like $15.

Well it's possible a washer-dryer combo actually needs 40A. There is no 40A receptacle design, so 40A appliances use the 50A receptacle and plug.

Otherwise, if it's caught on a future inspection, it is not a defense to say an electrician did it or the last inspector missed it. To be a waiver it needs to be basically in writing.
I never knew that about Westinghouse/Challenger/BRyant issue, appreciate the pro input very much. I may just hire a local electrician to come take a look.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm no electrician but I think this is a double pole 25x2 50amp and one side is bad. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks much.
Just to be clear that is not how the breakers work. Each pole or phase has the ability for 50 amps but that doesn't give you 100 amp capacity -- or 25 amps on each phase. If it were 25 amps per phase then a hot tub that requires 50 amps at 240V would not be able to work without tripping the breaker. When a tub that is rated 240v and 50 amps that means the tub will need 50 amps on both hot wires. But that is still 50 amps at 240v.

I may have confused you more. lol

·
Registered
Electrical, remodeling
730 Posts
Judging by the looks of that breaker, I suspect it has fulfilled it's life expectancy.

Looks like it was bounced around in the back of an electrical contractor's truck for awhile.

Has this panel ever been wet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Judging by the looks of that breaker, I suspect it has fulfilled it's life expectancy.

Looks like it was bounced around in the back of an electrical contractor's truck for awhile.

LOL yeah it's old and never been wet. Arizona and it's covered, very dusty though. Good news is it's been replaced and everything is working again as it has for many years.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I never knew that about Westinghouse/Challenger/BRyant issue, appreciate the pro input very much. I may just hire a local electrician to come take a look.
Simplest way is just post pictures of any labeling on your panel or inside the deadfront cover (if you're comfortable removing it). We can figure out what brand of panel you have, and which modern breaker is correct for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts