DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in process of residing my house. The project was planned with tar paper over the wood sheathing with 3/8" fan fold. I have the option to upgrade from fan fold to 3/4" Dow Super Tuff R insulation boards for $1500. The house is a typical 4 bedroom colonial. Is this upgrade worth it?​

·
Registered
183 Posts
I believe that 3/4" Tuff R Board gives you a R value of about 5, higher R values are calculated with a dead air space. The proposal is likely to attach it flush without an air space. The value of fan fold, in my opinion, is that it is useful as a leveling board when you are leaving the old siding in place, it provides a somewhat flat surface for the installation of vinyl siding. I do not consider it to have any real insulating value and the workers usually nail it in place leave a lot of spaces. So the question is will the $1500- pay for itself in fuel savings or greater comfort, e.g. less drafts. When I do a project I want to do it once and do it right, but it isn't always easy to figure out what is right. good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.