DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing vinyl siding shingles on my house front only. the sides are aluminum siding . My question is how to install vinyl coners without removing the aluminum?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
my mistake sorry,reading that today you can,but you need to cut back the aluminum an inch or so so you can slide the flange of the new corner under it,not an easy thing sometimes but it can be done,the issue becomes being able to fasten the corner flange under the alum siding

·
Framing Contractor
1,512 Posts
my mistake sorry,reading that today you can,but you need to cut back the aluminum an inch or so so you can slide the flange of the new corner under it,not an easy thing sometimes but it can be done,the issue becomes being able to fasten the corner flange under the alum siding
And how is this accomplished?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tom, do you think you could re-skin the corner with vinyl the same way you would with a vinyl corner? I have never tried it but it seems possible if the sizes match up.

·
Custom Home Builder
95 Posts
Good catch!!
For those of us who were around when aluminum was the thing, you should be familiar with how to work with it. :yes:

·
Framing Contractor
1,512 Posts
I have always used a "paneling" saw blade turned backwards in the circular saw. Cuts real clean. When you get as far as you can go, just score the rest with a sharp blade in your utility knife. :thumbsup:
I know how to cut aluminum, and have done it many times. I want to know how he is able to nail the corner after slipping it in behind the aluminum. My guess would be that he would drill a few holes through the aluminum very close to the edge, and hand nail on an angle.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Tom, do you think you could re-skin the corner with vinyl the same way you would with a vinyl corner? I have never tried it but it seems possible if the sizes match up.
thats the issue rock,the vinyl one is probably 3-3.5'' the alum ones were typically 2-2.5''

you could possibly cut the flange and pocket of the vinyl corner on the aluminum side,install a starter pop riveted to the aluminum corner and hook the vinyl corner around the starter then nail it to the front wall

·
KemoSabe
644 Posts
Why not cut back the aluminum corner and pack it out with PVC trim? Add an L bent from coil stock to flash it, then laminate PVC over top for a custom appearance on both sides of the corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
thats the issue rock,the vinyl one is probably 3-3.5'' the alum ones were typically 2-2.5''

you could possibly cut the flange and pocket of the vinyl corner on the aluminum side,install a starter pop riveted to the aluminum corner and hook the vinyl corner around the starter then nail it to the front wall
Ok, got it thanks. I am not familiar as I would like to be with the old aluminum trims.

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all . I was thinkink of drilling through the aluminum and using stainless screws to secure the corners and then sealing the holes with epoxy , as the siding will be painted .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts