DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 4-bulb grid light that was described (incorrectly) as having a commercial ballast. Examination showed that it was labeled for residential use only. I understand the reasons for not using a commercial ballast in the home, but is there any reason for not using a residential fixture in an outdoor shop? The ballast is rated to zero degrees. It hardly seems worth paying $30 more for a commercial fixture if it is not needed. I have several out buildings and will be purchasing many fixtures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The model # is Metalux GL432R by Cooper Lighting. The Menard's SKU is 3480316, and their website describes a commercial ballast. However, the Cooper Lighting website states a residential ballast, and it is so labeled on the fixture, I found.
The shops are not heated. I'm in Lincoln, NE and the shops temps are not likely to often drop into the single digits. The ballast has the typical rating of zero degrees, and the bulbs would be the same T8s that I would use whether heated or not. If the only difference might be the metal thickness for sturdiness, I wouldn't be concerned. I just don't know if there are any internal differences, other than some commercial fixtures are suitable for higher voltage, which I will not have.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I understand the reasons for not using a commercial ballast in the home,.
Could you explain it to me ?

Guessing here but I'm thinking the commercial ballast is beefyer. More on and offs and longer hours.

Temp rating for ballasts. I don't think ballasts would need to be in the single digits for temp to be a problem.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
The difference could also be value of the
Power factor correction capacitor !
In commercial premises there is more likely
to be high numbers of floro lights,
So power correction is more likely to be needed.

But in domestic premises only a few
So not so important.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
The difference could also be value of the
Power factor correction capacitor !
In commercial premises there is more likely
to be high numbers of floro lights,
So power correction is more likely to be needed.

But in domestic premises only a few
So not so important.
Say what??? Power factor correction for fluorescent lights?? What's that about - weird Australian electricity??

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
@ soborny: I realize that there is a difference in weather between Nebraska and South Georgia (where I am) but: I have "residential" fluorescent lighting fixtures in my shop and have almost no problems with them. Almost meaning that when we do have colder weather the lamps don't won't to come on as they normally would due to the colder air. They do come on after a few minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Could you explain it to me ?

ritelic, from what I have read, a commercial ballast doesn't comply with FCC regulations on permissible interference emissions for residential use. Some have suggested that the commercial ballast may run hotter, but that may be only for magnetic ballasts.

Thanks, everyone, for the discussion.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
My point was that the difference between a
floro for domestic vs commetcial,
Could be the capacitor and its value.

Your more likely to find one in a commercial
type floro.

But yes the light will work reguardless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.