DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all hi everyone, as this is my first post. Hopefully I do not screw up completely :gunsmilie:

I have a multi-split system in my apartment, in two rooms. Both of the AC units have condensate drains by gravity.

As this is a new system, it has never been used. And I just started to connect the condensate drains to the waste water drain line.

This is my system:

The drain is routed via garden hoses down to the PVC waste pipe.

Now the strange part - once I got everything connected the water will not drain and overflow from the driptray.
Once I disconnect the hose from the water trap, and place it in a bucket, everything drains just fine.

Any ideas what can be wrong? My though was that there is a need for a vent line or something, so the water would drain.
Something like this, what do you think?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Not enough hydrostatic pressure to over come the water in the trap. Or there is a vapor lock in your trap, your vent may not be positioned in the right area.

Writer’s information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not enough hydrostatic pressureto over come the water in the trap. Or there is a vapor lock in you trap, your vent may not be positioned in the right area.

Writer’s information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source
I presume if there would be not enough hydrostatic pressure, then I would see the water in the hoses above the trap, but the hoses are empty

I have no vent, in my drain (hose) lines.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
In other words, all structures with plumbing have a vented stack. Your connections are terrible and catastrophicly wrong.

You need to tap into the main vent stack in the attic or wherever the stack is accessible in coordination with your units. You may need a plumber to do this if you are inexperienced with it.

They make special fittings to accomplish this. Your hose is illegal (3/4" pvc) and where it's connected at as well.

·
I'm Your Huckleberry
5,884 Posts
You may be able to get away with the connections where you are in the wall, changing them to pvc, and it may be as simple as adding a trap. You'd need to check the mechanical codes in your area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the tip guys, unfortunately these are the only PCV pipes that can be seen in the wall. And there is no access to any others.
If I remove the Trap and put the hoses directly in the PVC pipe everything works fine, but then I get sewage smell coming from the pipe, that is why I fitted the trap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tommorow I will try and remove one AHU hose from the 3piece fitting. If the water will drain from one of the AirHandlers, then I will fit one more 3piece fitting and run a hose up to the ceiling for ventilation purposes.

·
Banned
804 Posts
1. get rid of all the "hoses and clamps"
2. run every thing in 3/4 (or bigger) pvc
3. traps at the evaporator coils with mechanical fittings so they can be cleaned....put vent " T" right after traps
4. problem solved........thats if you follow what i have just told you.
good luck and have a nice day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1. get rid of all the "hoses and clamps"
2. run every thing in 3/4 (or bigger) pvc
3. traps at the evaporator coils with mechanical fittings so they can be cleaned....put vent " T" right after traps
4. problem solved........thats if you follow what i have just told you.
good luck and have a nice day.
If it would be that simple, unfortunately all the walls are sealed up allready, and taking them apart will cost big $$$

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.