DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently raised an ex. section of roofing (dormer) from an 8 to a 3 pitch running along the end of the ridge on 1 side of the ridge I connected 2x6x16 @ 16"o.c.

My question is: Where the rafters meet the ridge they are above the ridge by <1" and not flush. Is this a problem? I can tell you that I used a hanger for each one and the are toenailed at the top and on the sides.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Its the 3 pitch i don't like with no support really. I can't see that not sagging under load. You have a lot of outward pressure on the front and back wall with that set up. What are your plans for that?

·
Super Moderator
13,288 Posts
Construction Master makes a great calculator for that.
What good is a CM if they can't read a tape? :laughing:

Looks like OP used the existing roof deck as his helper to hold the other end.

I'll bet the rafters are running wild on the other side with no seat cut. :wink:

·
Bombastic Idiot
761 Posts
Calculator? You mean with buttons and stuff and not rusty charts on a framing square?

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
I'm not a framer by any stretch but should that ridge beam beam have been beefed up, sort of like a header.
Looks to me like it's going to sag in the middle.

Reactions: mgomez

·
Residential Designer
1,487 Posts
A couple of things, I don't think you are attaching to a ridge board in the picture, it looks like blocking between rafters to me.

Also, 2 x 6 @16" O.C. spanning 16' is not prescriptive for sure. I think you need this redesigned and submit for permits.

The rafters you cut, do they continue from the ridge to a wall plate?

Where are you located by the way?

Andy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cut the rafters so they fit. Im not liking that roof design too much TBO
It's my first time, I'm obviously not a pro and any help would be greatly appreciated. The horizontal span is 12'6"/ S-P-F No.2 @ 16" oc. I just realized I used the wrong hanger and that's why the rafter is not flush. I have pictures included in my profile; take a look if you have time. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What good is a CM if they can't read a tape? :laughing:

Looks like OP used the existing roof deck as his helper to hold the other end.

I'll bet the rafters are running wild on the other side with no seat cut. :wink:
I've included pics on my page, let me know what you think. I'm a 1st timer all the help is welcome.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.