DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am working on a remodel and due to some framing issues, the existing supply duct to my kitchen can no longer reach its prior location with the same size duct due to the installation of a new beam. The system is relatively new. Previously the area (including the laundry room) was serviced by a single 7" supply line and a single 6" x 10" register.

I can come up with two possible ways to re-route the supply. 1) Either run the ducts into a new soffit along side the new beam in order to provide air/heat to the kitchen area. I would not be able to access the laundry room from the soffit, so it would be in conjunction with option (2) which is to reduce the duct size and access the kitchen and laundry (or just laundry in conjunction with option (1)) through a roughly 5" notch that I am allowed to take out of the beam.

If I go with the soffit to service the kitchen part, it will be about 20" feet long. My thought was that adding 2 new registers and directing them towards the kitchen was probably the way to do this. The laundry will just requite one small register (serviced by 4"?).

I do a lot of work on my house but have not done much in the hvac department. Any tips or tricks to get the air back into the new kitchen and laundry space based on the above constraints?

Thanks in advance!

· In Loving Memory
42,671 Posts
Might want to go with a 5" to the laundry for cooling if you want the temp in it to be close to the rest of the house.

Run along side the beam for the kitchen.

· In Loving Memory
42,671 Posts
No, 6 inch min. How well did it keep the kitchen cool in the past with the 7" line serving both rooms. If it didn't, then make it a 7". You can always throttle it down later. can't throttle up an under sized run.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It cooled the kitchen fine previously. The register was mounted in the side of the kitchen right above the door into the laundry room so the laundry was only tangentially served. Now that I have to reconfigure the line, I was going to add a dedicate register to the laundry. I will do my best to get two 6" supplies into the soffit for the kitchen and a 5" over to the laundry. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.