DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, thank-you for taking the time to review this post and to those who offer feedback. I’m reaching out to get feedback on the installation of snow guards on top of asphalt shingles. Please see the attached photographs and share your comments.

In addition, when do you need to install snow guards and or snow cleats on asphalt shingles?. The roof in the attached pictures experiences a winter snow load of up to 30” and some amount of snow on it Nov through April time frame. It is a cold roof system.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,425 Posts
Reactions: craig11152

·
Registered
13,603 Posts
I'm in Maine and we used to get our share of snow, yet I've never seen or heard of anything like that, except for a metal roof. Here we simply remove the snow if it becomes a concern. I've never seen an asphalt roof become a problem where you might need to hold the snow back
Explain.

Bud

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Here in SE Michigan I never see snow guards on asphalt shingles either. Although we rarely get 30" of snow sitting on a roof. More like 2-10 at any time.
What do your neighbors have?
If its actually the norm where your at I would lean toward a standard roof jack like joecaption linked to. The nails hide under the shingles, they are easy to remove and come in assorted angles. 45,60 and 90 are common. The ones I am used to accommodate a 2x6 although they make them wider too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.