DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing a 2x3 sliding exterior window with a new construction style Marvin wood clad dual pane. My new window is 6" taller and I plan on lowering the sill by that amount. I have exposed the nailing flange on the old window on both exterior and interior by cutting away stucco and drywall. I have been able to remove the stucco leaving the exterior paper intact, so I figured I might use the excess to wrap the lowered sill framing.

At this point I need to cut the existing studs (and jackstuds) to support a lowered sill frame. Is there a best method/tool to cut these in place with a chance at leaving square ends? I can't just replace them because there is a built-in vanity just under the window.

·
Framing Contractor
1,492 Posts
Generally a sawzall works well for this. Choose the shortest blade possible and go slow. Getting the cut perfectly square is not necessary.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The attached dwg is what I am looking at. Trying to cut the studs so the new sill frame is level. I thought of nailing a horz guide and using a circular saw but it wouldn't be deep enough. No sawsall, so it looks like I need to do a rough cut with whatever followed by some chisel work.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Use a circular saw and a hand saw(or jigsaw). Using a chisel for this will cause trauma on the exterior stucco.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How is flashing normally done on replacement windows like this ?

It looks like I am not going to be able to cut the studs for the lower sill without cutting the paper too, so I have some thin building paper I was going to try slipping down between the stucco and the old paper. If necessary, I can add a piece of grey poly shower pan liner I have left over for a vapor barrier. I see the rolls of 6" or 8" wide adhesive building tape, but I doubt I'd ever get that sticky stuff slipped in around the framing. It would be nice if they made a corner flashing piece from some stiff material just for this kind of thing.

I'll probably need to rip the new sill support a bit to account for the way the stucco bulges the paper inward between studs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts