DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm used to putting in vinyl siding on houses that have soffit all the way around. I'm doing siding on a small 3b/1b ranch that doesn't have soffit on the left and right sides of the house. The fascia board comes off just enough so that the previous installers simply slipped the top layer of siding underneath the fascia board. They nailed in the siding where they would but about the last 1" or so of siding is sort of tucked in underneath the fascia.

Is that normal? Someone was suggesting slipping in some j-channel underneath the fascia and popping the siding into that. But my experience is that j-channel is only for windows and doors.

Any suggestions?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,790 Posts
Then you ain't been around long enough.

J channel is for more than windows, and doors. It can be used as you need it under the fascia, but if it is wider than the fascia board, you will need to use flashing, or caulk the seam, to prevent water from running under the J channel, and getting behind the siding, and causing decayed walls.

ED

·
retired framer
41,608 Posts
There is not much wrong with the siding just sliding behind either.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Use some osi quad caulk on the last piece that slips under the facia. Maybe on the joints between courses. Without any nail, it is possible the siding will move too much and open a gap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts