DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I am finally re-siding my house and I've hit a snag up at the gables. I thought I could just pop these vents out and slip some new ones in. So I bought 3 new aluminum adjustable vents. After bringing the first one up I am finding that if I get it to match the angle on both sides, it is too short.

That's the first issue. I guess I can modify the frame to get it to fit. The real issue is that apparently they tuck these things behind the existing fascia, so that has to be pulled off too? I was planning to level the fascia out and wrap it with coil stock. I don't really want to pull the fascia off totally because I know it connects to the roof/drip cap at the top.

Any suggestions for replacing these things?

Thank you,

Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
You can use sheetmetal flashing to overlap the vent. Same with sill. Adding insulation changed the wall plane, so sill and flashing have to be reframed. Maybe that will help with short frame on the adjustable vent cover. I'd use some kind of drain pan under the modified frame.

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
I looked at the triangular vents when I wanted to replace the small rectangular one originally installed but the NFA (net free area) was ridiculously low. These were all molded with little slots under the lip for venting. Not sure what the rating is for your adjustable vents but be sure the two give you enough high vent area. You can add ridge vents for additional area along with the gable vents, it isn't a problem.

Bud

1 - 3 of 3 Posts