DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Big Dog
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hospitals, convenience stores, paid fire departments, Walmart, and other large stores are open on Holidays. And usually, they are open 24/7. Almost no other companies are though.
My mechanic is open most holidays. I have lived in places where service companies are also.

I really do not think it unreasonable to expect a company to list the fact they do not open on holidays on their website.

Tell us, what do you pay for the new fan motor and installation.

The whole thing came in at $979, service call, parts and labor, which is about actually a little less than I expected. I was actually expecting it to be about $1200-$1300.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,286 Posts
My mechanic is open most holidays. I have lived in places where service companies are also.

I really do not think it unreasonable to expect a company to list the fact they do not open on holidays on their website.

Recheck their website. You will probably find a 24 hour emergency number.

Lots of service companies don't list closed for holidays. At least not in large easy to see print.

Your mechanic, is probably in business for himself, and not an employee of someone else.

·
Hvac Pro
22,471 Posts
Unless they advertise 24/7 service probably most people assume they are not open after hours or on holidays and will get an answering service.

Just like calling your dentist you will get a answering service. Probably just a oversight when they created their web page.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,666 Posts
I guess if you were expecting $1200 and paid $979 you are happy. Personally if I knew I could buy that motor for $300 and install myself in half an hour, my DIY nerves would pain me.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
If your compressor is a Climatuff (sp) it may be running for 20 more years, ours is, and original condendser fan too.

I learned to never trust web site information. Some of their info. may be 5 years old and possibly not even the same ownership. I even see site information and hours/days on the business door not even being close. I wouldn't be a very happy camper following site information, drive 60 miles round trip to discover their site info. wasn't correct. When someone tells me their computer shows something in stock the conversation continues until i find someone that will get off their lazzy ass and go look. I did this very thing 3 days ago and they had 1 , yes one so they set it out when i stated i'd be there in about 30 minutes.

Edit: Edit:

·
Big Dog
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I guess if you were expecting $1200 and paid $979 you are happy. Personally if I knew I could buy that motor for $300 and install myself in half an hour, my DIY nerves would pain me.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk
It is not a matter of just finding a motor, it is finding one with a bolt pattern that fits my unit. Based on my conversation with the tech, it would have to be ordered as it is near impossible to source it locally.

I would then have to wait for it to arrive and either take a day off from work to install it or wait until the weekend which means more days of no AC in summer temperatures. So yes it was worth the $979 to get it fixed.

Just tell them the truth. You couldn't wait and have more money than time:biggrin2:
I would not go so far as to say I have more money than time...:smile:

If your compressor is a Climatuff (sp) it may be running for 20 more years, ours is, and original condendser fan too.
Edit: Edit:
You may be right.

The house was built in '73, we bought it in '96 and it still had the original AC. The condenser unit failed in '03 which is when we had the Trane installed. The air handler is still original to the house and working perfectly.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The house was built in '73, we bought it in '96 and it still had the original AC. The condenser unit failed in '03 which is when we had the Trane installed. The air handler is still original to the house and working perfectly.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the usual complaints that your unit is most likely sized wrong and no Manual J was ever done...etc.

If you are happy with how it is working, great. And the original air handler will probably always have parts available since it most likely relies on analog controls with a simple circuit board. As long as it doesn't rust out it could run and run and run. The only real issue is R-22 and it's rising costs. Old equipment does eventually fail or leak and then you pay for re-charging and repair.
Keep the equipment serviced and running well and you may extend the life even longer . But closing in on 50 years for an air handler......that's pretty amazing.

·
Hvac Pro
22,471 Posts
Trane does have some funny OEM motors with odd mounts. Some of their furnaces have this cage mount and a smaller diameter motor and you have to use a Trane motor.

Trane parts are very expensive where I am and having work done on a holiday is 1.5X as expensive so that cost is plausible. Also depends on the cost of living in your area.

That motor to change where I am would be $600 and higher but in Toronto or Vancouver $900 or higher.

Houses cost 2-3X more in those cities versus Winnipeg.

·
Big Dog
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
A footnote.

It is almost 2 pm and the company with whom I left the message on Saturday has yet to call. I guess they have so much business than mine was not that important to them.

At this point I do not really care, my AC is fixed. I just thought it interesting.

·
Hvac Pro
22,471 Posts
I worked for quite a few smaller outfits that had less than 12 people and 1 owner.

You would be surprised to know how many Mom and Pop small outfits have a owner who is a gambler or drunk or not much of a businessman and go broke every few years and startup again under a new name etc etc.

Just because they have a nice internet site or ad in the Yellow pages when we used those old phonebooks ( dating myself LOL ) does not mean they are well run.

·
Big Dog
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
They are clearly a bucks-up outfit.

I have often seen their professionally graphic box trucks on the road and they run television ads on our local stations, not a cheap option.

Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise.

I have read a number of reviews of techs telling homeowners they needed to replace whole units when all that was required was a capacitor replacement.

The company that did fix the AC responded promptly. The tech was up front and honest about what was needed and got the problem resolved without trying to sell me what I did not need. So right now I have that HVAC company on my speed-dial.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts