DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’m replacing two standard on/off switches with “smart” switches that tie into my home automation system. I’ve done a bunch of them already, but this is the first I’m doing with two switches in the same box - one controls the ceiling fan and the other controls the lights attached to the fan.
The new switches have explicit Line and Load terminals, so I was looking for some confirmation that I’m doing this correctly.

The 3-wire cable I believe is the source, or Line, and the 2-wire cables are each a Load to the fan and light? So the red and black from the 3-wire connect to the Line on each switch?
Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'd guess that the 3-wire cable is the cable that goes to the fan. Black for the light, red for the fan. One of the other two 2-wire cables is the incoming line, and the other 2-wire cable is an outgoing line to another switch or outlet.

You can verify this by checking the light/fan junction box to see if there is a 3-wire cable there.

So connect the load wires of the two switches to the red and black wires of the 3-wire cable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.