DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hope this is a simple question. I am replacing a dimmer switch and when I pulled out the old switch I saw that the ground wire was not connected. There were two ground wires in the back of the box that were connected in a wire nut. When I put in the new switch I would like to ground it.
Question: Can I simply add the ground wire from the new switch to the two ground wires already in the nut?
Thanks!:)

·
DIY Enthusiast
1,131 Posts
keninnes said:
Hi, I hope this is a simple question. I am replacing a dimmer switch and when I pulled out the old switch I saw that the ground wire was not connected. There were two ground wires in the back of the box that were connected in a wire nut. When I put in the new switch I would like to ground it.
Question: Can I simply add the ground wire from the new switch to the two ground wires already in the nut?
Thanks!:)
Is the box your putting the new switch in metal?
If so,the grounds should be connected to the box.
You can then add a pig tail to the grounds you already have at the wire nut and connect it to the switch.
If the dimmer already has a ground coming of it ( green wire) just add it to the grounds already there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.