DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Bathroom renovation
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All- new member here. I’ve been enjoying slowly renovating a bathroom until I ran into a problem with the doorknob. The base plates popped off easily but I can’t get the knobs off. I located the small hole that you’re supposed to insert something into that should release some sort of button or latch, but no matter what type of tool I try nothing seems to work. Is it possible that something is wrong with the knob (too old, rusted, etc) and I need to try a different approach? All I’ve seen in my online search was someone using a hacksaw to cut the knob off. I’d like to avoid that.
I’ve included some pictures of the doorknob, with circles around that small hole. Both the inside and outside knobs have these small holes. Any advice or knowledge is appreciated.
Natural material Gas Jewellery Art Close-up
Sculpture Wood Art Tints and shades Automotive tire
Handle Door Dead bolt Household hardware Wood
Wood Grey Art Tints and shades Eyewear

·
Registered
303 Posts
Usually it is done from the inside of the knob, there is a small hole and you press a small screwdriver, or something that won't easily bend in the hole.

If it is a bathroom, you may need to squirt some penetrating oil like PB blaster, or possibly WD-40 in the hole to loosen up the mechanism.

Once you depress the spring, you have to pull on the knob at the same time to pull it off.

·
Registered
Bathroom renovation
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually it is done from the inside of the knob, there is a small hole and you press a small screwdriver, or something that won't easily bend in the hole.

If it is a bathroom, you may need to squirt some penetrating oil like PB blaster, or possibly WD-40 in the hole to loosen up the mechanism.

Once you depress the spring, you have to pull on the knob at the same time to pull it off.

Thanks, it is a bathroom so I’ll try WD40. I’ve been inserting a small screwdriver, but nothing depresses. Hopefully loosening it with WD-40 will help!

·
Banned
3,810 Posts
The only thing I can offer, is that it is apparently a Dexter brand knob assembly - which is now Schlage. That might be a good place to start the research. Unfortunately, there are about a gazillion different kinds of knob assemblies out there. On some you depress a tab and the knob releases, on others it's pushed, then twisted, into an L-shaped groove.

The fact that what is typically the "unlock hole" is on the inside knob intrigues me. Is it possible that somebody installed it wrong?

Also, I found this link, but don't know if it's of any help at all. Dexter Knob Removal

·
Registered
Bathroom renovation
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing I can offer, is that it is apparently a Dexter brand knob assembly - which is now Schlage. That might be a good place to start the research. Unfortunately, there are about a gazillion different kinds of knob assemblies out there. On some you depress a tab and the knob releases, on others it's pushed, then twisted, into an L-shaped groove.

The fact that what is typically the "unlock hole" is on the inside knob intrigues me. Is it possible that somebody installed it wrong?

Also, I found this link, but don't know if it's of any help at all. Dexter Knob Removal
It’s highly likely that it was installed wrong. Lots of prior DIY done in this 1980s home that has been frustrating to re-do. Thanks for the info about Dexter/Schlage, I didn’t know that.

·
Banned
3,810 Posts
It’s highly likely that it was installed wrong. Lots of prior DIY done in this 1980s home that has been frustrating to re-do. Thanks for the info about Dexter/Schlage, I didn’t know that.
I didn't either. But at age 60, I've been learning all kinds of cool stuff on this newfangled thingy call the internet. :LOL:

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I really don't know what you're dealing with there.

·
Registered
Bathroom renovation
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two videos,

Thanks. I’ve gone in a pretty deep dive on YouTube. I understand the process and the use of the unlock hole, it’s just getting me nowhere. No matter what I use nothing depresses or moves and the knob won’t budge. I’m going to try the same process after using WD-40 as recommended by another user.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
If you are replacing assembly, don't worry about fineesse.
Keep trying to use the hole while twisting the knob.If all else fails, put a pipe wrench on the knob and twist it off.
If you are replacing the latch there is no reason to be careful with the old one.
You can remove the screws on the backset and see if that give you a little room.
....and there is always a sawzall that every homeowner should have.

Reactions: 95025

·
Registered
Bathroom renovation
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are replacing assembly, don't worry about fineesse.
Keep trying to use the hole while twisting the knob.If all else fails, put a pipe wrench on the knob and twist it off.
If you are replacing the latch there is no reason to be careful with the old one.
You can remove the screws on the backset and see if that give you a little room.
....and there is always a sawzall that every homeowner should have.
Thanks, I’ll keep using some muscle before I try anything else.

·
Registered
Bathroom renovation
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: I was able to get the old knob off with a lot more muscle and less concern about potentially damaging the knob. Unfortunately when it came off I realized that this door does not fit the standard bore hole for doorknobs. It’s considerably smaller, and rather than drilling to make the hole larger, I put the knob right back on. After looking at the rest of the doors in the home I noticed they have the same knobs, therefore the same hole size. I’d rather invest in having the doors replaced in the near future. I appreciate all the advice here! I can tell this forum is going to be a helpful resource. Not much has been smooth-sailing when it comes to even the simplest renovations and updates.

·
Maintenance / Locksmith
411 Posts
Update: I was able to get the old knob off with a lot more muscle and less concern about potentially damaging the knob. Unfortunately when it came off I realized that this door does not fit the standard bore hole for doorknobs. It’s considerably smaller, and rather than drilling to make the hole larger, I put the knob right back on. After looking at the rest of the doors in the home I noticed they have the same knobs, therefore the same hole size. I’d rather invest in having the doors replaced in the near future. I appreciate all the advice here! I can tell this forum is going to be a helpful resource. Not much has been smooth-sailing when it comes to even the simplest renovations and updates.
You can make a template to cut out a larger hole for the lock for a conversion to save the doors. FYI

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Unfortunately when it came off I realized that this door does not fit the standard bore hole for doorknobs. It’s considerably smaller ...
Dexter's 1 5/8" diameter crossbore has always been an issue, more so after they changed to a 2 1/8" crossbore. Their deadbolts (4000 series?) used the same size crossbore.

Reactions: Kate88
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.